Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: String Algae

Brush sandals B. Scott!! LOL And you gave me a hard time about using a cordless drill and a stick to wind it up.

-steve

I had pictures of them but can't find them anymore. There was a copy of them om a FTP of Roark's but that has been shut down after the KP crisis. Too bad! Just a sign of how desperate I was!

B.Scott . . .

Quote Originally Posted by B.Scott
    I had pictures of them but can't find them anymore. There was a copy of them om a FTP of Roark's but that has been shut down after the KP crisis. Too bad! Just a sign of how desperate I was!
    Roark posted this AM (on KP) that he's trying to get his site back up -- so maybe your photo's not gone for good.

Red face Algae is beautiful.

Funny stuff, string algae. It makes grown men do strange things with and in their ponds, usually to no avail.

My story--I used to get it in all my ponds at the shop, but only after the second year of maturing. I never got it in my quarantine ponds at home, but I have a different water treatment company there.
    I tried all the usual and some unusual remedies hoping to find a cure for my customers. Manufacturers reps would promise that their latest Nuclear Algae Zapper would make it dissapear (yeah right) Heck some fellas even came over from Europe with samples of the newest and greatest(didn't work).

After a couple of years of frustration and many explanations later I finally resigned myself to the fact that for 6 weeks every year I would have beautiful wavy string algae in my store ponds. When I changed my mindset, I noticed the water was crystal clear, the algae looked kind of exotic and the fish seemed to love the additional cover.

Then came the bead filter--no more string algae--I kind of miss it.
    Werner

Pond-On (tm)

I miss it too. I use cheap food and it makes me nervous when the koi are not getting plenty of veggies. Now I have to collect string algae from fry ponds, seawater ponds, wherever, to feed to the koi.

-steveho

Honmei

Algaefix has to be used properly!

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop
    AlgaeFix can wipe out your koi, too. Lots of documented incidents on various koi boards each year. Listen to the KHA's amongst us.

People that kill their Koi with Algaefix usually overdose it, because they don't really know how many gallons they have, and don't use proper aeration while using it. None of my customers have ever had a problem with it and as Koiczar said, don't overuse it.
    I have found though, the best way to get rid of it is like Scott has pointed out, increase your filtration to procees more waste. We can't always do it with water changes because your municipality may have a lot of nitrates and phosphates in the tap water.

As long as we are talking about algae-fix... Be very wary of Evolution Aqua's Blanket Weed Inhibitor. This stuff will cause your pH and KD to fall like a stone. If either of these values are on the low side you are going to have fish doing the backstroke! All the spin about it being natural yada, yada, yada... This stuff can kill!

B.Scott

Quote Originally Posted by B.Scott
    Mike it's not true. Back when I used to to suffer from it I tried it all. No matter how far I want to poison, treat or scrub it off it came back within a week or two. Even turning my system into what basically was flow through system with 30% water changes a DAY for a whole summer didn't help... now figure in why the guy two blocks away with a crap pond and hardly any water changes never had/has string algae. Some of us get it others do not. We can postulate all we want but as far as I can see it's a game of roulette. But like I said after installing the the static K filter it all died back to bare wall and all that grows there now is soft, short non-stringy algae. Don't care way just glad it's gone
    Okay y'all

Now that you've decided to excerpt my original post make sure you re-read the part about this being A SECOND ALTERNATIVE!! AlgaeFix is not a cure-all, nor did I say it was. Only a band-aid until you can get your REAL CAUSE under control, which is, too much nitrate/phosphate. If you notice this was my main theme. Those of you who did more water changes - and it didn't do any good - think maybe it's your source water?? The neighbor who hardly did water changes tells me you were trying to do too much -vs- too little. As Russ put it, adding more or better filtration will usually take care of it. I find this true as a pond moves into it's 3rd or 4th year of maturity.

Those who have killed their fish by using AlgaeFix - shame on you for not knowing what size your system is or not reading the ENTIRE label. It states on the label to INCREASE YOUR OXYGEN LEVELS. Did you do that??

I have used AlgaeFix on my personal ponds and ponds of many customers. So far, it's the only treatment I know of personally, that has been effective in clearing a pond of string algae. Not forever, mind you, as there is no substitute for getting to the root of the problem and correcting it. I have NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE OF THESE PEOPLE LOSING FISH DUE TO IT'S USE!! Again, it MUST be used correctly!!

My quarantine pond is 1250gal. It is covered by a shade cloth overhang. My main pond is 10,000+/-gal and is in FULL SUN!! The q-tank gets string algae occasionally (especially when I neglect cleaning the settling chamber) - 2-4 tosai in sinue. As soon as I clean it, the string algae just disappears over 3-4 days. Source water is exactly the same. So, why does the shaded pond get string algae and the main pond IN FULL SUN does not!?! Rather a perplexing question, eh??

DISCLAIMER- I am not a rep for the makers of AlgaeFix. I just don't think it's fair for a product or a success story to get slammed about why it doesn't work for someone else. Heck, nothing works for EVERYONE, right!?

Okay, folks, blast away if you like. Just thought it might be information worth pondering!!

Koiczar,
    Once again I beg to differ about the nitrates and phosfates. The summer I did the flow through at 30% per day the nitrates and phosfate stuff was just about nonexsistent in my system. Look at the values in this printout from my water company. You tell me where the algae is coming from.
    The filp side is my pond now has higher values is still in the full sun dor 75% of the day and I have NO STRING ALGAE. The only difference is a static K prefilter

Component</SPAN>UnitMin.Max.</SPAN>Aver.NotesAluminium</SPAN>g/l AI</SPAN> 200</SPAN>5</SPAN> Ammonium</SPAN>mg/l NH4</SPAN> 0.2</SPAN><0.02</SPAN> Arsenic</SPAN>g/l As</SPAN> 10</SPAN>1.7</SPAN> Boron</SPAN>mg/l B</SPAN> 0.5</SPAN>0.07</SPAN> Cadmium</SPAN>g/l Cd</SPAN> 5</SPAN><0.1</SPAN> Calcium</SPAN>mg/l Ca</SPAN> *</SPAN>52</SPAN> Chloride</SPAN>mg/l Cl</SPAN> 150</SPAN>54</SPAN> Chrome</SPAN>g/l Cr</SPAN> 50</SPAN><2</SPAN> Fluoride</SPAN>mg/l F</SPAN> 1.1</SPAN>0,23</SPAN> ConductivitymS/m </SPAN> 125</SPAN>45.6</SPAN> Iron</SPAN>g/l Fe</SPAN> 200</SPAN><10</SPAN> Kalium</SPAN>mg/l K</SPAN> * </SPAN>5.2</SPAN> Color Intensity</SPAN>mg/l Pt</SPAN> 20</SPAN>4</SPAN> Colonie # gp-22</SPAN>kve/ml</SPAN> 100</SPAN>1</SPAN> Copper</SPAN>g/l Cu</SPAN> *</SPAN>1.6</SPAN> Mercury</SPAN>g/l Hg</SPAN> 1</SPAN><0.02</SPAN> Lead</SPAN>g/l Pb</SPAN> 25</SPAN><1</SPAN> Magnesium</SPAN>mg/l Mg</SPAN> * </SPAN>8</SPAN> Manganese</SPAN>g/l Mn</SPAN> 50</SPAN><10</SPAN> Sodiummg/l Na</SPAN> 150</SPAN>33</SPAN> Nickel</SPAN>g/l Ni</SPAN> 20</SPAN>1,7</SPAN> Nitrate</SPAN>mg/l NO3</SPAN> 50</SPAN>1.27</SPAN> Nitrite</SPAN>mg/l NO2</SPAN> 0.1</SPAN><0.002 </SPAN> Seleneum</SPAN>g/l Se</SPAN> 10</SPAN><0.5</SPAN> Silicate</SPAN>mg/l Si</SPAN> * </SPAN>4.8</SPAN> Sulfate</SPAN>mg/l SO4</SPAN> 150</SPAN>52</SPAN> Temperature</SPAN>C</SPAN> 25</SPAN>12.5</SPAN> Total fosfate</SPAN>mg/l P</SPAN> *</SPAN>0.04 </SPAN> Total Hardnessmmol/l</SPAN> 12,5 </SPAN>1.63</SPAN> Trubidity</SPAN>FTE</SPAN> 1</SPAN>0.03</SPAN>(afleeswaarde)Hydrocarbonate</SPAN>mg/l HCO3</SPAN>60</SPAN> 133</SPAN> AciditypH</SPAN>7</SPAN>9,5</SPAN>8,3</SPAN> Oxygenmg/l O2</SPAN>2</SPAN> 9.5</SPAN>
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

B. Scott

I put the source water as a question(?) not a statement, but after reading your list of goodies in your source water, the nitrate levels show 50mg/l. That's actually high enough to combine with sodiums/silicates to create some string algae problems. Also, how old was your system at the time of this outbreak of string algae?

Yes, I agree, better filtration will usually irradicate it. That's whaty my main topic in my original post was on. The Algae Fix was merely a secondary "bandaid" until the person could get their source cause under control.

Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast