Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ways a Koi E-zine could be set up so it would be the most worthwhile

Daihonmei

Ways a Koi E-zine could be set up so it would be the most worthwhile

I'll start...
    i think that having multiple pics in multiple files that could be downloaded by choice (and during a slow period by those without broadband). of course have the best example open in the articles, but learning files could be attached to the article.

i think allowing the article to be posted and doing both of these...
    having threads started concerning the article (with the article at the beginning of the thread) and establishing
    establishing one of those chatrooms where times will be posted for the author/writer to come and talk some more about the subject.

On Wikipedia they have a program that highlights every word that has information posted on the site....a great way to allow people to learn the "words" and the people in the article.

To create some income from E-zine to finance costs and satisfy both "subscribers" and advertisers, have 2 components: one element that is free to the public and one that is only available to subscribers.

Have features that are available for the education and enjoyment of all readers with prominent space for advertisers. Open readership would allow a much broader audience which is a good thing to promote sponsorships. Also, informative articles help strengthen interest in the hobby at a higher level. Could gear this area towards new(er) hobbyists and have basic info like glossary of terms, reference type stuff, etc., as well as "Koi-Bito" level feature articles.

Then, have other features available by subscription only. These areas could have more limited space devoted to ads, and those really in-depth articles and interviews that we all crave and lots and lots of photos! I like Luke's idea of "live chat" sessions occasionally. You could post "teasers" of subject matter in the free area to encourage new subscribers. Subscribers could get DVD issue(s) or as someone mentioned in another thread - an occasional special printed issue.

A must is that the articles can be printed off.

The reason a printed magazine works so well, is that it can be taken anywhere, written/drawn over and you dont have to be sat in front of a PC to read it.

Hi

I work for a magazine publisher. Magazines have a feel not found on the internet. But regardless, I read more on the internet today than any other media.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley
    Hi

I work for a magazine publisher. Magazines have a feel not found on the internet. But regardless, I read more on the internet today than any other media.

BB
    That's a very interesting point. I LOVE to plant myself into a comfortable chair and read/look at a good magazine - enjoy the tactile and visual feel of the slick paper, the photography, the print, etc. However, I am quite sure that I also spend more actual time reading info. on the net than magazine content overall.

Do love the "portability" of a mag - read outside, airport, bathtub, etc. I did set the laptop on the toilet one morning so I could soak in the tub and continue a very engrossing koi discussion online one morning.....but I felt like I needed my head examined. (Joe that was your fault - daggone live video feeds..... ) But if I had a flat screen monitor set in the wall like a plasma TV then that wouldn't have seemed so weird.....the technology is certainly here to make an E-zine more portable as well.

Luke/MJ

Both of you have definitely spent some time mulling this whole thing over.(Jen, how did you see over the bubbles?) You've both brought some very good ideas to the table. I like the idea about the general content being free and special interest items by subscription only. Makes it great for everybody including sponsors/advertisers.

I, too, like the portability of the paper mag. But, you know, you learn to work around those issues. People are just not that adept to change until it's forced on them to get used to doing things a different way than they're currently used to. I think if Brian decides to continue AND create an e-zine then this whole discussion will be over. Those that are flexible will move with the tide and those that aren't simply won't. I think most koi hobbyists are flexible enough to handle the transition as our hobby is in a constant state of flux with new products, ideas, medications/treatments,etc - we should be used to change and able to adapt with very little difficulty. That's MHO!

Mike

Daihonmei
    Mullberry Queen,
    I was mulling over a seperate section for "paying customers" too....but not having more written content...just more pics... and perhaps have the "discussions" be viewable by all but only subscribers can ask questions ( ONLY the subscribers being able to post also accomplishes having those that are clueless asking innane questions).

I guess I will throw my 2 cents into this. At another board that I moderate we have a section like that. Of course it isn't a magazine but the reason we do it is to help pay the costs of hosting a website with 27,000 members. The only problem we run into with having a "paying members only" section is that the "non paying members" constantly think the "paying members" are talking about them in the back room. That isn't the case as our no personal attacks policy extends to the pay area as well. What you DO find in the pay area is a lot more trust and comraderie between the members. The trust factor is built in that since they paid to be a member they gave their address, phone number etc to the site owner who then verifies that information. This means no one is anonymous (at least not to the owner of the site). Comraderie is built because all of the paying members have something in common and that is the fact that all of them are willing to pay to help keep the site alive which means they have a vested interest in its success (and it is very successful). You also will find that the paying members are much more serious about the hobby (classic Chevys) then most. So can this work on a koi board? Yeah I think it could with the right incentives. Who would sign up? The koi kichi would. Thats my current take on it.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Tategoi
    Sounds like your board is WAY TOO focused on people stuff and not enough on the fish! IMHO, JR

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith
    Sounds like your board is WAY TOO focused on people stuff and not enough on the fish! IMHO, JR
    Um the other board is a CAR site. The other big draw to the paying member only area is the cheap car parts we sell each other but that wouldn't apply to a koi board .
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast