Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Koi problems, Pics help Diagnose

Did you check the copyright on that book? At the link I gave you Doc J talks about salt resistant costia and treating with formalin instead.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Yes I got that info but I'm going to ty the salt first and if that doesn't work then I go to the Formalin. I figure the less stuff in the water the better. I added the Microbelift -TheraP to help with the bacteria issue for the new pond syndrome. He does talk about the Formalin in the book since some of the Costia is ammune to the salt. I figured first try that and then try the Formalin

Jnorth makes a good point here. However, we need to keep in mind that you can't use any salt with straight formalin as it can burn the fish. Proform C is another one we recomend for costia. He can try the salt meanwhile, or a salt dip/bath. But the salt would have to be totally removed to treat with formalin, and a limit of 0.1% with proform C, and Proform C also needs applied at night due to the fact that light can deactivate the mg.

How old is the book Steve? There's a new one out now in case you didn't know.
    Still, it does not mean that flukes are not present, sometimes they don't show on a regular scrape, but a gill snip/scrape might show up gill flukes. It is possible to have more then one parasite involved.

Also keep in mind that the pond itself will need treated also for the costia.
    ~Kathy

The book is copyrighted in 1997,

Well I have all 8(what's left)of them in my QT which has 75 gal of water. Treatment dosage for Chloramine T please. My container I have doesn't have a dosage rating on it.

You must have missed this link the first time.

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...?article_id=71
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Nisai
    since you have all in quarantine tank, as well just do a shotgun treatment. proform c 1.5 dose in 3 days, then supaverm in 2 dose in day1 and day 3 keep it in the quarantine tank for at least 4 weeks. meanwhile drain the pond, let it completely dry in couple days. Costia can resist dry when in low temperature form a cyst, in your temp, it not likely going to happen. touch the fish, with costia you will feel soft. Formalin and malachite show more effective than just formalin alone. For my experience, as you can see, a shotgun treatment most likely will save more fish (particular the small one) than a scope. scope may miss something, but shotgun don't. Chloramine T come from Chlorine, the main ingredient in our tap water. is effective but again, it stays in water in about a day. Formalin is also just 12 hours in the water, malachite green stay for month, even it discolored by the sun. The only thing salt can kill now is Chilo, but it have to be 6%. Cross your finger, after a shotgun, if you still have some by then, you be allright.

Fry

RE: please diagnose my fish!!

I found my fish like this. It has now been there for about two weeks and do not know how to treat it.

The photos are on the link below

Koi fish

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456