Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Koi problems, Pics help Diagnose

Koi problems, Pics help Diagnose

Here's some pics of a Kohaku I lost today. I have had him for about a week and I have lost 4 fish like this and I finally took pics. Please help me figure this out. I took pics of both gills and the marks that were on the body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koi problems, Pics help Diagnose-gill-1.jpg   Koi problems, Pics help Diagnose-gill-2.jpg   Koi problems, Pics help Diagnose-k68.jpg   Koi problems, Pics help Diagnose-k69.jpg   Koi problems, Pics help Diagnose-k70.jpg  

Nisai
    How is your water quality? are they all died at the same time frame?
    what about the rest of your other koi?
    The first pict looks like hemical burn than parasite.

I think I agree with andrew

Have you used any chemical type pond water treatments recently? Algaecide, etc... Some of them can be rather harsh.

Well after testing the water I think I may have found the problem. I have a few out of wack. So off I go to do a water change.

Nitrites= 0.50
    Nitrates= 10
    Ammonia= 0.25
    PH= 7.97

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear
    Have you used any chemical type pond water treatments recently? Algaecide, etc... Some of them can be rather harsh.
    Nope no chemicals. I did add some PH buffer today since my ph was at 8.67.

Question Still seems strange

I've seen worse readings without mortality problems so it's still confusing. At your ph level the ammonia is non-lethal and the nitrites/nitrates shouldn't be much of an issue either. How is the chlorine/chloramine on your water supply? Sometimes local municipalities up the chlorination in the spring to compensate for warm weather water problems in lakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred
    Well after testing the water I think I may have found the problem. I have a few out of wack. So off I go to do a water change.

Nitrites= 0.50
    Nitrates= 10
    Ammonia= 0.25
    PH= 7.97

REC
    Nisai
    Jim North asked me to look over your pics... if you correlate the body wounds with the damage to the gills in the second picture, we can reasonably beleive this to be flukes (gills flukes, most likely). But the granular dispostion of the damage in the first photo is a bit strange and inconsistent with gill fluke damage. Also, after closer examination, I noted the curled ends of the gill filaments in the second picture.. and it makes me think that this might be chemical as well. I would not rule out costia here, either.

So, I have some questions:

1. It sounds like you added the pH buffer after the other fish died. Is this correct?

2. What was the pH buffer? By any chance was this a "pH down" type of product??? If so, this is acidic and really should not be used under any circumstances with fish in the water.

Regardless of the what the proximate cause is, now we have all the potential for bacterial gill disease as the gill tissue has been compromised and is open for infection. Here is what I would do:

1. Scrape and scope the fish and the gills to see what parasites we are dealing with. This is critically important because with the gills damaged to the extent they are, selecting a med/chem for treatment is going to be a trick. Our usual chems for parasites, including ProForm C and PP will (not might) exasberate the already bad situation with the gills.

2. Get some Chloramine T/BDGX. This is the med for gill bacterial infections. We are going to need it.

3. Get the fish in warm (78 deg F), prisitine, water salted to .3% with lots of aeration. This temp is where the immune system is at its peak and we need all the help we can get.

Let me emphasize that any chem added to the water, except for things like Amquel, Prime, and salt have the potential to cause further damage to the fish so do not be indiscriminate with your med/chem use.

Let me know about the previous deaths and the condition of their gills.

Good luck

REC

Thanks for stopping by REC. Always a pleasure to get your insight on koi health problems.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Nisai
    the last picture make me worry, seem like a area of skin have been discolored. and i am surprised that it been white (?) Can you look at other fish to see the discoloration on the red (turn yellow?) See at the nose whether it has a severe V notch? touch the fish, and see what you feel, like sand paper? no slime at all? So far it seem like gill fluke exept these things. Once you have gill fluke, they will die one by one, in several days, not at one time. please check and let us know in a hurry.

Anyone consider columnaris?? Can also cause gill damage.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast