Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Water Test Meters

Digital Water Test Meters

Are the digital meters for testing water parameters worth the expense of buying them? Which are your favorites, which are the ones to stay away from, which are user friendly, which are challenges....

Since I know zip about this subject I'd really like to learn.

Marie

Hey, Marie . . .

we've used two Trans Instruments digital meters for years: Ph and Salt.

They're inexpensive, reliable and simple.

Don't forget to check the calibration now and again.

Honmei
    We have been using the Hanna C 200 Multiparameter Ion Specific Meter for years. It is incredibly accurate and will show results when almost all of the other test kits don't. It tests for 36 specific things including, heavy metals and dissolved oxygen levels. For us it makes sense, but for the average person I don't know. The equipment runs about $800.00 and you have to buy all of the tests individually.

As far as drop or tablet test kits, there are two that stand out above and beyond anything else. They are Palintest and LaMotte test kits. The Palintest tests runs between $22.00 - $25.00 and the LaMotte are around $70.00.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop
    we've used two Trans Instruments digital meters for years: Ph and Salt.

They're inexpensive, reliable and simple.
    I'll second KoiCop's sentiments on the Trans Instruments meters. I have used the Koi Medic salt meter and their pH meter for3 or 4 years. I check their calibration periodically but have rarely ever had to make an adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryC
    I'll second KoiCop's sentiments on the Trans Instruments meters. I have used the Koi Medic salt meter and their pH meter for3 or 4 years. I check their calibration periodically but have rarely ever had to make an adjustment.
    Ditto on Koi Medic meters, although have only owned Salt meter 2 yrs, pH meter for 1. Inexpensive, work well, and my salt meter has survived being dropped a couple of times without damage. I'm klutzy, so durability is a factor, unfortunately.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by mulberryjen
    Ditto on Koi Medic meters, although have only owned Salt meter 2 yrs, pH meter for 1. Inexpensive, work well, and my salt meter has survived being dropped a couple of times without damage. I'm klutzy, so durability is a factor, unfortunately.
    Someone needs to come up with digital meters for ammonia, nitrite and kh.

Sansai
    the salt meter is great. it takes a reading very quickly and seldom needs calibrating. the only problem is that after a few years the batteries die and you have to back out the screw which holds the pocket clip on to pull the top offof the meter to replace the batteries. this takes a special screwdriver, radio shack does it free for me. don't just pull the top off, it is wired to the inside and only comes off about an inch, after that you will break the wires, which can be soldered back, i know from experience.

the pH meter i purchased with my salt meter is not as good. it takes too long to take a reading and has to be calibrated more often than the salt meter. i gave the pH meter away, it is quicker to use the test tube and drops test.

They have ion selective electrode meters for ammonia and NOX (nitrite plus nitrate). Don't bother. They are expensive, cumbersome to use and it takes longer to get a reading than with a test kit.

Hach makes good test kits too. They are as good as Lamotte and about the same price.

-s teveh

Jumbo
    I have the Digital Eco Pal PH tester, made by Trans Instruments, I got from Bill Putnam at Koi Pond Central. I test my PH almost every morning and find it very quick and easy to use. I would not go back to drops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast