Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marie's Small School of Koi

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal
    Really? Even with the cute sumi squigglies on its face? How do you tell the difference between bekko and utsuri? I need to learn sumpin' every day!

I'm gonna go out and take a couple more pics. I didn't do Blurt (hi utsuri) any justice at all... You like Shiia the showa too? She was the first ginrin showa I've seen that I actually liked the addition of sparklies (sometimes they're just distracting on certain patterns).

Marie

Okay - The difference is this - A shiro utsuri is basically a showa with no red and a bekko is a sanke with no red. Confused yet? Okay, an ustsuri is basically a black fish with white accents. It usually sports a sumi pattern which extends down to the belly and it usually also has motoguro. A bekko is a white fish with black flowery patterns usually limited to the space from the lateral line and above. If any black appears on the pectoral fins, it's usually just one or two thin lines from the base of the fin outwards. As opposed to utsurimono, there should NOTbe any black on the face! Sorry!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar
    Okay - The difference is this - A shiro utsuri is basically a showa with no red and a bekko is a sanke with no red. Confused yet? Okay, an ustsuri is basically a black fish with white accents. It usually sports a sumi pattern which extends down to the belly and it usually also has motoguro. A bekko is a white fish with black flowery patterns usually limited to the space from the lateral line and above. If any black appears on the pectoral fins, it's usually just one or two thin lines from the base of the fin outwards. As opposed to utsurimono, there should NOTbe any black on the face! Sorry!!

Mike
    *nodnod* Gotcha. Well bekko it is, then. Even with the fingerpainted face. *L* There is a scant amount of sumi below the lateral line, a few touches of sumi fully emerged and a few faintly showing beneath the shiro, but...she certainly doesn't give me the impression she's a black fish with white markings, that's for sure. Thanks for teaching me something today!

Marie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12