Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Showa Questions

Kage Style

The Sumi seems to be coming up in a Kage pattern. You'll have to keep snapping photo's as it progresses so we can see how it does. Some maintain the Kage look and carry it off well while others fill in to a solid look over time. IMHO Ginrin are able to carry the kage look off better than normal scale.

Smile Thanks Larry

I've been fascinated by Shiia ever since I picked her out. She was very dark when I purchased her, her sumi faded to almost nonexistent right before she was shipped to me and the dealer was freaking that I might think he'd switched fish on me when he dipped her out of his QT. Here's the pic I chose her from:

Hey! I can hear that gasp from here! *L*

Yep, that's her. Just an iddy biddy barely 5" baby. One more inch and she'll have doubled her size since the end of April.

Think she'll go back into her "darkness"? I read somewhere (Yumekoi?) that showas won't develop color while they are in a growth spurt, but will when growth slows down. Perhaps now that the sumi is blooming, she's slowing down on putting on more length and working on maturing for a while? Since I've had her, her sumi has risen and fallen three times (this time being the 3rd). Once in the QT very briefly, once when I put her in the pond for the first time, and now after the Irish green soup-water has been cleared. The first two times it lasted a mere few days before ducking under the covers again.

I like the Kage showas. This one is bred by Ogata and was imported this last April. What did I see in that dark youngster? Some awesome sumi unaffected by gin, a balanced pattern with minimal white (I just wanted small accents of shiro on a black and red ground), irridescent ginrin hi, and a pretty good bod for such a small fish.

Marie

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

The "baby sumi" on tosai Showa does fade away. The mature sumi will not necessarily arise in the same areas. With young Showa it is often unclear whether the sumi is coming or going. That is where knowing the breeder's fish can be a real help.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The "baby sumi" on tosai Showa does fade away. The mature sumi will not necessarily arise in the same areas. With young Showa it is often unclear whether the sumi is coming or going. That is where knowing the breeder's fish can be a real help.
    Are there any clues to help us determine what is baby sumi that fades vs what is submerged sumi that will mature?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123