Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Koi hobbyist started with an Aquascape style pond

How many Koi hobbyist started with an Aquascape style pond

How many of us Hobbyists started with a Aquascape style pond? To those who are not familiar with these style of ponds consider youself lucky... Its basically an instant pond.. Dig hole add filter fall and skimmer and rocks more rocks and it will take care of itself. ALA ecosytem... LOL

Joe

I did have kinda of a Aquascape pond with plants and stuff like that. Also had the small filter on it, with a sump pump...Had to admit that it that system is cool after awhile, but really hard to clean when it had to be cleaned.

Daihonmei
    Does a hole dug behind the doghouse so my mom couldn't see it count as an "aqua-escape" pond?
    Somehow minnows just appeared in it. No one ever told me how they got there.

Me. I had the whole kit and kaboodle - rocks on the bottom, no drain, no skimmer, sumbersible pump, two or three feet deep and 10 koi. I did have a Tetra PF3 filter though.

-Dan

Tategoi
    Me too. Still have it. It is a watergarden now with no fish.

Fish are in a large tank in the garage. Digging begins next week on the greenhouse pond!

Tosai
    I moved into a house with a 750 gallon pond, submersible pump, no way to clean the buried filter, and 25 fish. Oddly, some of the fish passed soon after I moved in.

9 years later and I am still improving the pond and hope to rebuild into something nice soon.

We started with a 100 gallon homedepot drop in pond, with a tetra 2 gallon barrel filter with bioballs, we had 10 koi and a few goldfish and turtles and lots of plants. Dam that was ages ago, it was a pain in the butt to clean. Now we have our koi ponds and I have a water garden, hell my watergarden now is 600 gallons. Funny we all started, with the basics and now we be koi snobs

I think we all start off with something AquaCrap'ish and move on to "Koi"...people might think of me as a koi snob, but I get more enjoyment watching my fish than watching plants over take a pond. I think I do less maintance now than I did when I had water plants in my pond ages ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    We started with a 100 gallon homedepot drop in pond, with a tetra 2 gallon barrel filter with bioballs, we had 10 koi and a few goldfish and turtles and lots of plants. Dam that was ages ago, it was a pain in the butt to clean.....
    Nancy, that's exactly what I had! It was a B-day present from Mike before we were married at my "bachelorette" house. Many an afternoon was spend gazing at the goldies and relaxing.

After I sold the house I wanted the filter system to be as clean as possible so the new owner wouldn't have to do maintenance right away. So I went to detach the bioball basket to give it a good rinsing out. I was yanking and pulling on the hose to get it free like a dummy and I toppled all the big limestone rocks that formed the waterfall. SPLOOSH! Into the pond they went. No good deed goes unpunished.

Joe San, in our neighborhood we all started with European style classic bath tubs. They had a bowled bottom with a drain and a valve for water all set to go. Only we had baby alligators before fish.
    Gary San

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast