Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Injury to fish

Injury to fish

One of my koi that i recently bought has jumped out of the pond and scratched the areas right above the eyes. The red that was there before is gone and replaced by "scars" i guess with hints of orange in em. I'm just wondering will those affected areas just go away and become white, or will color return or they will remain scarred? I used melafix to aid in healing after he jumped out. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the board Mr. Cheung!

The answer is maybe!!! It depends on many, many factors. Everyone could give you a much better guesstimate if you posted a picture of it. And also briefly descibe your pond.

Depending on how much you paid for the fish, it may have been better to just buy another fish rather than the Melafix. (I don't think many users on this board think highly of Melafix.) I've heard it referred to as snake oil here.

Best of luck.

John Wang

In my limited personal experience, minor scrapes heal and the pigment returns with no scars over the course of 3-4 months (in growing season). I would be more concerned if the scratch was so deep that scales were lost or there was bleeding. Still, even lost scales can grow in and be unnoticeable after a while. A koi of mine suffered a puncture wound when a tree branch skewered him in a hurricane. That was in August, 2004. It healed, but remained ugly and discolored throughout 2005. Today, the scales have re-grown. They cover the area well, but it would be noticeably "different" if observed in a show tank. Perhaps in another year the scales will blend better? ... The interesting thing is that the wound was in an area of Hi. That area is now a very clean white spot surrounded by Hi. There is no sign of Hi returning.

Well... I did spend 200 dollars on the fish... but since the area scratched was the head region (im not sure if there are scales on the head or if they're just really tiny), would that make a difference on how the injury would heal? And thanks for the insightful comments!

Here is scratch on my kohaku that seems to be similar situation to what you described. Hope it is reassuring.

Injured last year late Fall (1st pic...boy was I aggravated!), the smaller photo from last week. The white area is a reflection - the only evidence of mark is a small notch directly to the left of the eye. I was surprised that the color came back as strong as it did - got lucky. I watched the area for signs of problems.....since none were seen I left fish alone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Injury to fish-kohak-scratch.jpg   Injury to fish-scratch-fish.jpg  

*tears* thank you for the reassuring pictures and comments... but sad to say, that fish that had scratched it's eye has committed suicide... he's no longer with me... i'll post up a pic on another fish that had probably a similar predicament to that kohaku but probably a little more serious. please comment on that to see if the fish can be salvaged. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by tcheung View Post
    *tears* thank you for the reassuring pictures and comments... but sad to say, that fish that had scratched it's eye has committed suicide... he's no longer with me... i'll post up a pic on another fish that had probably a similar predicament to that kohaku but probably a little more serious. please comment on that to see if the fish can be salvaged. Thank you all.
    So Sorry you lost your fish, if these are new fish to your pond, try covering your pond for a couple weeks with some bird netting. If they are young koi they can get spooked very easily. Lowering your water level would also help to keep the new fish in the pond.

Well, shoot. Seriously consider Nancy's advice about netting pond for awhile. Good luck.

The healing process of a koi all depends on the water quality. Scratches or scars, might take awhile to come back....I can say it can come back, but with time and patience.