Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KHV in UK

two concerns in the UK right now with KHV. Sports anglers catching carp and releasing them into their local lakes from where they were originally caught. And with the hot temps koi
    ponds heating up to where the virus kicks in. The beauty of this concern is the koi could have been kept a few years in cooler temps so that you have no idea of where to track in back....( oh Joy).

I had not seen this mentioned before...

KHV can be carried by grass carp and goldfish, but there is no evidence of it affecting these or other coarse fish species.
    ... that is, the part about being carried by goldfish.

-ste vehopkins

Hi Steve,

I read that some years ago but thought it had been proved to be false.

The problem that I see in the UK is that KHV is now the hot news in the Sport Fishing industry and for their reporters it is a new subject. It appears that their research is throwing up old and sometimes incorrect information that the Koi hobbyists discounted years ago.

On the good side it means that we now have the Angling community for support.

At the moment the major confirmed outbreaks are all in the Angling community. A few rumours abound in the Hobby but nothing definate confirmed to my knowledge which is pretty much the norm for any year.

However, I learn from my colleagues on the continent that it is worse over there with some dealers and hobbyists being affected.

FYI - The UK has just experienced a bit of a heat wave with air temperatures in the mid and high thirties celsius. This has brought all of the unheated ponds into the trigger range. But so far I haven't heard of any wipe outs amongst our local koi enthusiasts.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, knocking wood etc as I am typing this.

rgds BERN
    South East Koi Club

In Holland there have been some KHV outbreaks in koi ponds this year. A survey on a Dutch forum learned that amongst it's members (from Holland and Belgium) there have been 5 confirmed outbreaks amongst 110 voters. I feel this number is biased, since not all of it's 2200 members did vote, and the incentive to vote when not affected is low.

Known sources for the outbreaks are one breeder of ornamental fish that received a shipment of koi from someone else, and two low end dealers, one of which sold koi from Thailand. So far, no high end dealers seem to be infected.

KHV has been around here since 1998, and is a real concern. It has wiped out many a koi collection since, and every year there have been some outbreaks. This year there seem to be some more outbreaks than in previous years. But as Bern said, we have had an unusually warm July, which may have triggered outbreaks in ponds with a carrier that has been there for some time.

Regenmeneer

Hi Regenmeneer,

Thanks for putting that into perspective. When I heard about it there was still a lot of hysteria about where facts tend to get lost.

One thing that is quite apparent is that the ornamental hobby is able to track down the source better than the leisure industry. But I feel that they are hampered. I suspect that their source of infection could be several years old brought to life by this hot spell.

see you soon.
    Arcen beckons.

rgds Bern

Bern,
    regarding KHV in the koi hobby, a MONUMENTAL posting was made at YUME koi yesterday affecting customers and others dealers. It's too painful to repeat but readers can go to his site on the web.....

Dick: That is sad news. It is being handled right.

Mike, Dick.

Agreed it's the right way to handle it.
    Sad news all round.

Mike S is a genuine bloke and doesn't deserve this.

rgds
    Bern

Honmei
    I can have nothing but respect for the management at Yume Koi for the way they are handling this situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast