Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American Nishikigoi--What is the Future?

American Nishikigoi--What is the Future?

Taking a look at what is being produced in the present with what has been produced in the past, are American breeders on the right track?

American Nishikigoi

Hmmm Maybe the title should be American Bred koi..

Joe

Maybe it should. *S* God knows I have a hard time being politically correct. Hope the title doesn't create a whole new free-for-all over semantics. Maybe I should just delete the whole thang.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    Taking a look at what is being produced in the present with what has been produced in the past, are American breeders on the right track?
    I think American breeders must build their artistic following...With me Nishikigoi is art. In the future I still believe that Asian Koi Breeders(other than Japanese) will excel further than American breeders. That is in producing high quality in the masses and plus produce them big(bigger than 30")

Maybe it should. *S* God knows I have a hard time being politically correct. Hope the title doesn't create a whole new free-for-all over semantics. Maybe I should just delete the whole thang.

M
    Dont delete anything...let it ride and see who bites on it. This thread is asking ones opinion so no one is right or wrong...

M

Sorry Marie.. I am not a write such as yourself.. so maybe it came out harsher than it was intended to be. just giving the word "Nishikgoi" a bit of respect as I always do.. My best intentions are always on... With that being said this is a prime example how simple words can be taken differently..

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    I think American breeders must build their artistic following...With me Nishikigoi is art. In the future I still believe that Asian Koi Breeders(other than Japanese) will excel further than American breeders. That is in producing high quality in the masses and plus produce them big(bigger than 30")
    I totally agree with you on Nishikigoi being an art, Tonio. I wouldn't be into it if it wasn't. Up until fairly recent times, American business has been all about industrialism and mass production, which has not a whole lot to do with art. But that in itself is beginning to change. China has appeared to have very competitively taken the lead in the mass production market, leaving America and most other nations in the dust that way, which I think is a good thing. It gives us pause to rethink our strategies, to focus on quality and art again and leave the mass production to China (go to the store and see how many American made products there are--almost everything is made in China these days).

How many breeders are doing the mass production thing? How many are breeding for their own eye, for art and beauty's sake? How many private koi kichis are out there doing their own thing behind closed doors that we don't even know about, who could surface at any time in the great pond of American breeders and hobbyists with something we've never seen before in our history?

It would be folly to think that there are none, that we know everything that there is to know about everyone in this hobby and what they are doing. But it doesn't hurt to ask, and that's why I created this thread.

Marie

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Smile *big squishy hug*

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi View Post
    Sorry Marie.. I am not a write such as yourself.. so maybe it came out harsher than it was intended to be. just giving the word "Nishikgoi" a bit of respect as I always do.. My best intentions are always on... With that being said this is a prime example how simple words can be taken differently..

Joe
    No harm no foul (or fowl *L*) Joe. I knew you weren't giving me a bad time, though all of a sudden I thought perhaps someone else might. It was just the hint that "Nishikigoi" and "American" might not go together that kind of spooked me. I think they can be said in the same breath without insulting the Japanese, whom I have the highest respect and regard for. After all, where would we get all the fine koi to base our breeding programs on to weave our own ideas of art and beauty from?

Marie

No harm no foul (or fowl *L*) Joe. I knew you weren't giving me a bad time, though all of a sudden I thought perhaps someone else might. It was just the hint that "Nishikigoi" and "American" might not go together that kind of spooked me. I think they can be said in the same breath without insulting the Japanese, whom I have the highest respect and regard for. After all, where would we get all the fine koi to base our breeding programs on to weave our own ideas of art and beauty from?

Marie

You see Marie.. You write better than me... I shoulda stayed in school instead of skip and and surf my High School years away... LOL..

Trivia Question... How many non Japanese koi won Grand Champion in the US.... ???

Joe

Talking Oh! Trick Question!

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi View Post
    You see Marie.. You write better than me... I shoulda stayed in school instead of skip and and surf my High School years away... LOL..

Trivia Question... How many non Japanese koi won Grand Champion in the US.... ???

Joe
    Answer: NONE. There is no such thing as a non-Japanese koi.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast