Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retrofitting an Aquascape Water Garden into a Viable Koi Pond--What are the Options?

You can DIY your own bottom drains for about $5. Any size. DIY a filter also. If anyone can do something on a frugal dime, its me. Plastic strapping or other free media inside a 55 gallon barrel, which is inside a settling chamber.

Sequence Cimmeron is your best bet for recirculating a single 4" bottom drain back to a TPR.

You're still looking at $500 to fix this mess. If no money or time is available, reduce fish load to a point that the environment can handle.

Since I was unfamiliar with the Aquascape concept, Marie was kind enough to send me the site address. After having a quick glance, it seems to me the guy running the show did a major in marketing, not marine science. It really bugs me that people that want a Koi pond end up with a goldfish puddle, paying big bucks on the way.

What struck me the most was that he outright discourages the use of UVC light and floating skimmers. Even more amazing to me was that he states that all kinds of waste between the rocks used on the bottom is helpfull in building a healthy water environment. Systems based on this theory can only support a minimal number of fish. No mention of a bottom drain either.

Marie, I really hope things work out for your friend.

Reg

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Thanks For the info Dan. Hadn't heard of the "Aspen" line of pumps from Sequence. But, they don't interest me either. Neither does the AV50. Is it actually designed for "outdoor" use?
    Mike

P.S. - Okay, checked out the website. That airpump is really suited for indoor use. I've seen them in action. They're okay, but they still won't replace the standards on the market.
    Yeah, none of those things are the best options out there. Those are the low budget options.

I had both the Alita 40 and 60. They're both good pumps. It had a nice solid aluminum housing. The housing of the AV-50 is plastic and doesn't look very pretty but it worked pretty well for me. I had mine outside for two years without a problem. The best part of it is by far the cost. I can almost by a new pump for the price of a replacement diaphram of the Alita.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Regenmeneer View Post
    Since I was unfamiliar with the Aquascape concept, Marie was kind enough to send me the site address. After having a quick glance, it seems to me the guy running the show did a major in marketing, not marine science. It really bugs me that people that want a Koi pond end up with a goldfish puddle, paying big bucks on the way.

What struck me the most was that he outright discourages the use of UVC light and floating skimmers. Even more amazing to me was that he states that all kinds of waste between the rocks used on the bottom is helpfull in building a healthy water environment. Systems based on this theory can only support a minimal number of fish. No mention of a bottom drain either.

Marie, I really hope things work out for your friend.

Reg
    Reg

You cannot believe the amount of people that have been taken in by his advertisements. They have literally installed over 90,000 of these garbage ponds. The koi hobby in general needs someone with enough balls, to nail those people. If enough of there unhappy customers would all get together and file a class action lawsuit against aquascapes, that would save so many new hobbyist from the nightmare of one of these ponds. And believe me if they are happy today with there beautiful eco friendly pond, give them 2 years 3 years max and they will wish they had never invested there $15k to $20K on there so called koi pond. I do know that some of there installers have got real smart, they tell people orally that it is a koi pond, but in the contract it states water garden. They are covering there a$$es. There has been so much controversy here in the USA, on there "eco friendly pond systems". It makes me sick, to see so many people taken in by them.
    Something has to be done, to stop them from promoting these water gardens as koi ponds. To look at one they are actually very nice, but they are not functional koi ponds. They say that they are eco friendly, LOL, eco friendly is a river rushing millions of gallons of water through it. NOT THESE ENCLOSED TOILETS....

Just my thoughts, I figured I would keep it light, and not bash them

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    . . . . . LOL, eco friendly is a river rushing millions of gallons of water through it. NOT THESE ENCLOSED TOILETS....

LOL, at least toilets have a drain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcny View Post
    LOL, at least toilets have a drain.
    Not enclosed toilets... these are like porta potties.. full of $hit

That was Shizit I was touching when I was clean out one of those ponds? I think I would get better enjoyment watching my toilet then...HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Not enclosed toilets... these are like porta potties.. full of $hit

Oyagoi
    Reg

You cannot believe the amount of people that have been taken in by his advertisements. They have literally installed over 90,000 of these garbage ponds. The koi hobby in general needs someone with enough balls, to nail those people. If enough of there unhappy customers would all get together and file a class action lawsuit against aquascapes, that would save so many new hobbyist from the nightmare of one of these ponds. And believe me if they are happy today with there beautiful eco friendly pond, give them 2 years 3 years max and they will wish they had never invested there $15k to $20K on there so called koi pond. I do know that some of there installers have got real smart, they tell people orally that it is a koi pond, but in the contract it states water garden. They are covering there a$$es. There has been so much controversy here in the USA, on there "eco friendly pond systems". It makes me sick, to see so many people taken in by them.
    Something has to be done, to stop them from promoting these water gardens as koi ponds. To look at one they are actually very nice, but they are not functional koi ponds. They say that they are eco friendly, LOL, eco friendly is a river rushing millions of gallons of water through it. NOT THESE ENCLOSED TOILETS....

One of the best ways to go about changing that is by contacting and using the government authorities in place for that. In this case it would be the attorney general in the state they are based from. Most attorney generals are very nice, understanding, and want to stop unethical and fraudulent styles of business and ads taking the unaware public's money if they can. Many of them do what they do just for that reason. They do not need a class action lawsuit with money involved for that. What they need is a number of complaints, and some reliable information from people inside the koi industry to attest to the unsuitability of these ponds for good koi health and living.
    What they are doing is unethical advertising that is somewhat deceptive and very misleading to new hobbyists. The thing that really sinks them is the claim that the rocks on the bottom are good for biofiltration, when in fact they are a breeding ground for anaerobic bacterias and diseases, and the biological filtration is insufficient for both water quality and clarity, and the depth not enough for healthy koi keeping of a decent stocking of adult koi. The toilet/outhouse analogy is a good way to describe it to the attorney general. The attorney general does not need a judge to find in favor of a person suing them to yank their business liscense or force them to change the way they do business. I know you feel strongly about this Nancy, and if you gather the attorney general's contact info maybe we can all sign a petition in support of a letter asking her/him to do something about it.

If they want to play nasty, the attorney general can decide to yank their license until the court date, which can be up to 3 years off.
    'Sometimes it take a talking donkey to turn things around in the right direction, ask Balaam."

Quote Originally Posted by junglegeorge12 View Post
    One of the best ways to go about changing that is by contacting and using the government authorities in place for that. In this case it would be the attorney general in the state they are based from. Most attorney generals are very nice, understanding, and want to stop unethical and fraudulent styles of business and ads taking the unaware public's money if they can. Many of them do what they do just for that reason. They do not need a class action lawsuit with money involved for that. What they need is a number of complaints, and some reliable information from people inside the koi industry to attest to the unsuitability of these ponds for good koi health and living.
    What they are doing is unethical advertising that is somewhat deceptive and very misleading to new hobbyists. The thing that really sinks them is the claim that the rocks on the bottom are good for biofiltration, when in fact they are a breeding ground for anaerobic bacterias and diseases, and the biological filtration is insufficient for both water quality and clarity, and the depth not enough for healthy koi keeping of a decent stocking of adult koi. The toilet/outhouse analogy is a good way to describe it to the attorney general. The attorney general does not need a judge to find in favor of a person suing them to yank their business liscense or force them to change the way they do business. I know you feel strongly about this Nancy, and if you gather the attorney general's contact info maybe we can all sign a petition in support of a letter asking her/him to do something about it.

If they want to play nasty, the attorney general can decide to yank their license until the court date, which can be up to 3 years off.

Thank you, JG
    I will do a little investigating, with the Attorney General's office.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast