Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: getting to know your koi

getting to know your koi

Koi, like many pets ( dogs or cats) know their masters.I'm reminded of this when i go to show off my koi to people. instead of running up to meet me
    they start up see that it's not me and won't come up. Those rascals actually
    know who is who! tell that to a non koi person and watch them question your
    sanity.

So I started thinking about how individual koi are with their own personalities
    and thought it might be fun to share observations.

My grandmother koi that i've had for close to 25 years is a bit uncouthe. She gets up to the surface feeding,makes all kinds of sucking noises and will lurch over the back of any other koi to get food. Kimiko, The apple of my eye is quiet and shy and will feed as far away from her as possible. Tho she can't
    talk, she speaks to me with actions and looks as if to say, " dad, when are you gonna teach that koi some manners"....

so let's share some stories about our koi and their personalities.....

Talking Getting to know youuuuu, getting to know allllll about youuuuuuuu.....

Blurt....no, not something I often do that gets me in hot water, but the name of my hi utsuri. When I first got Blurt I thought she was the spookiest thing in the pond. Nothing this koi does is slow. Nothing. And it's the chubbiest koi I have. It took me weeks to figure out that Blurt, in actuality, is anything but spooky or shy.

She's the first to the hand whether there is some goodie in it or not. Blurt can be all the way at the other end of the pond when I put my hand in the water, and if the other koi are all in a bunch around my hand she'll leap right over them and land face first smack in the middle of my palm and stay there for seconds at a time, wagging like crazy. Then she'll zoom off, come around and do it again.

Silly koi.

Here's a pic of Blurt in the middle of a Blurt Burst:

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Dick....

...got a pic to share of "grandmother koi?"

Sansai
    "Wild Thing", that is Sharon's new style Sanke from INC, Isawa. She has a strong Magoi background and the new style sumi with beautiful Matsunoske Gin just above the lateral line flowing through her whites, looks almost iridescent in color. The name "Wild Thing" comes from her attitude as I see it, when she feeds she literally strikes and darts off time and time again. Of course, Sharon didn't name her from her actions but her looks, we have not another koi that comes close to a wild look!

Dick has seen her, he is quite taken back by this little beauty!

I gurantee you when she gets the size she will be GC. Wild thing will be a koi
    when the judges are quietly walking thru the show tanks prior to judging will be smitten by that koi and have a hard time finishing their walk thru. I can honestly say she's the only koi i've seen this year that If I could add to my pond i would!

Not much of a picture taker/poster. Gandma is about 27 inches is banana yellow and quite nice skin for as old as she is and bright red eyes (albino)