Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unbiased judges

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephandGabby View Post
    No offense to anyone, but I've heard this same argument at least a dozen times over the past few years. Basically there are two different schools of thought here. On one side there's the average pond owner willing to spend $200 - $500 for a single koi. To some people (like my wife for example), this amount is insane. After all, we're talking about glorified carp here. I've heard the rationalization that if one's a millionaire and has the funds available, then blowing $20,000 or more on a single koi is alright. But is it? Sure, why not. If I had a fortune falling out of my pockets and didn't know what to do with it, I personally wouldn't blow it on a fish, but that's just me. My point is this - there's nothing wrong with spending a small fortune on a fish. The vast majority of koi keepers out there aren't into koi shows anyway. They're perfectly happy with their lowly pond mutts and relaxing by their backyard ponds. I do feel; however, that there should be some way to acknowledge koi keepers who actually raised their grand champion koi from tosai as apposed to those with the funds available to simply buy the biggest, most expensive koi and pay someone else to do all the work. Bar none, Steve has the best koi I've ever seen. But you get what you pay for, and rest assured, he's paid a lot for the fish he calls his own. Most of us would never pay that much for a fish, but that's Steve's thing so leave him alone. He's got the money and if he wants to spend it on the biggest, best koi he can find, then so be it...

Again, no offense meant to anyone.
    no offense gabby, but this thread is about a major, well known koi keeper publically boycotting shows because he says the judges are biased against him.

how do you feel that affects the hobby?

Please post a link to the thread where this comment was made and I'll respond. I believe this thread is an extension of a thread started on another board...

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephandGabby View Post
    Please post a link to the thread where this comment was made and I'll respond. I believe this thread is an extension of a thread started on another board...
    it was posted on mr. heigh's website, but i am banned and do not have direct access now. you can find a copy here:
    http://www.newtcity.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9799.0

mr. height's post includes the following, "I am definitely boycotting atlanta & orlando. "

Sansai
    or you might find it here:

all i get is that i am banned.............

Since this is already being talked about on two other boards then why don't you talk about it at one of those. Thanks
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12