Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anybody Have Their Koi Stuffed?

Does Anybody Have Their Koi Stuffed?

Just wondering how many people have "preserved" some of their favorite fish through taxidermy.

Yeah, I know, what kind of herbal tea is she sipping? *LOL*

Actually that question occurred to me when I took a peek at the trophies for the Sacramento show. There were several that had white koi on top, shiro muji solid white, which led to the thought that maybe the colors and pattern of the winner of that particular trophy was painted on the white koi. I thought that would be a cool touch for years down the road, an immortalized memory of that koi when its time on earth has long passed by. Then of course I wondered what people did with their favorites--bury, incinerate and keep ashes(or not), flush (though of course this method would take one BIG loo to accomplish on any koi of age), filet and barbeque, feed to some carnivore, freeze it, dry it, tan its skin or...get it stuffed.

So has anyone ever done this? I mean, Roy Rogers stuffed Trigger. Why not a prize koi?

Marie
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Um..not me. Don't see that in my future either...and what kind of of tea are you drinking? I just might need to go get some.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    Um..not me. Don't see that in my future either...and what kind of of tea are you drinking? I just might need to go get some.

*angelic look*

Green tea, J. Gots those antioxidants and elevated caffeine level going for it. Goooood stuff....

*toddles off*

Learning to do the fish takes awhile,providing the student can find a teacher to work hands on with him/her, the equipment is spendy also! I'm not even going to speculate what the price per inch is running nowday's for mounting fish. Bound to be scary! I kinda had to laugh about the topic though having taken taxidermy!

I do believe that Doc J has one of his fish done, think the article is on the home page someplace still.

It was ingrained in me when I took the classes though that doing folks pets wasn't very cool! But I don't think they had pet fish in mind either.

Hmmmmm, think I need some of that green tea myself! *LOL*
    ~Kathy

Something about an animal that you were 100% responsible to care for....dead and mounted to stare accusingly for all time, kinda doesn't appeal to me too much. Not sure why?!?!

There was an article in KoiUSA a few years ago about a fellow who had a beloved koi mounted by a taxidermist. But, you know, there is little of the fish that is actually preserved by a taxidermist.

In the past I buried koi that died in the garden. But that stopped after a critter dug one up and left the remains at the back door. Not the way I want to greet the day.

LOL! Brutus, that is the way it works though! Any good and well mounted critter's eye's should "follow" you... creepy, yes! But the eye's are important, wouldn't do to have a cross eye'd mount unless it was a total joke/prank! In that case it might be a hoot to add the tongue sticking out and hooves in ears..

The best joke is alway's the one with kids! Tell them the deer was running so hard it hit the wall and stuck there, the other half is hanging out the side of house! They have to go look for themelves despite the fact "they don't believe you!"

But if you think thats creepy, try a Black Crow with Red eye's!

Sansai
    i have buried a lot of them, but never had one mounted. the best thing for the wall is one of those fish that you push the button and his mouth moves and he says something clever.

Sansai
    oooops, the question was has anyone had a koi stuffed?

i stuffed mine with shrimp this afternoon, they loved it. they won't eat much tomorrow though.

chinese probably eat koi stuffed with crabmeat.

Since it's koi, gyotaku (fish printing) would be more appropriate than taxidermy. Also easier to DIY and nicer to look at - in my opinion.

-stev ehop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast