Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friendliest Species of Koi

Most laid back and personable koi in my pond has been the ochibas. At the other end of the spectrum would be the flying kohaku. *L* Point a net in her general direction and she's doing aires above the waterline.....

Marie

I bought a chagoļ 2 year ago, but she is not the most familiar.
    My two female sanke are more friendly and come directly to me when I m around the pond, when a put the hands in the water they both come directly to suck my fingers. It seems that there is a competition between them.
    Anyway I noticed that females seems to be more friendly, maybe because they eat more and are more hungry.

Friendly koi

Chagoi are for sure the most likely to tame up. I have a big 75cm Gin Chagoi, and she lets me pick her up out of the water with no problem, and no net required.

Try being friendly to the fish, and they will respond, but it takes time. In fish language, friends = food. Sit by the koi for a minute or two before feeding them, so they know you are there and that you are not trying to net them. Feed them by hand, and make them eat the pellets from a closed fist. I started by just touching the chagoi on the side when sha ate, but also by letting her swim past against my hand, so she was not alarmed. I then let her bite at my fingers, and touch her head, and eventually started tickling her belly (as one does to catch a trout by tickling.) It was not long after that that she would be quite comfortable with me holding her firmly under the belly in the water, and then I stared to pick her up and out of the water. She really became tame, and in summer me and my kids would swim in the pond, and she was quite happy to swim up and be petted, while most of the other koi would go lurk on the far side ...

However, when the net comes out its another story.

Unfortunately, now that I have an automatic feeder, I am in second place, and she is certainly not as tame as she was a year ago, which goes to show where koi hearts lie. (somewhere in the stomach I think).

Mind you, there but for the grace of God go I !

Sansai
    I think I would vote for chagoi and soragoi. I think they are all the same species.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12