Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Kohaku - Opinions?

Kohaku - Opinions?

Hi

I have aquired this kohaku at a recent Australian auction. I would like your opinion. Please, be honest as I have a wife to make sure my ego is happy. I am particularily interested in your opinion of the body shape.

Thanks

BB

I like the body a great deal. Nice and thick tail joint. May grow to be very powerful and have real presence. I like the pattern as well. The negatives I see are, the head has a little too much hi for my taste. The Sashi needs time to clean up as well...still a little messy. Who is the breeder and how big is this koi?
    Nice one to watch develop...enjoy!!!

I like it...Assuming it was bred in Austrialia, do you know the bloodline? Look strong like a Matsunosuke.

body shape

If you draw two parallel lines along the length of the koi, both just touching the widest part of the koi, and do the same with an 'average bodied koi", you will see clearly that this koi is very imposing. The widest part is well behind the fins, truly awesome. The tail muscle is also thick and strong, and the koi has a very noticeable arch starting just behind the skull. I would love toi see a shot of this fish from the side ... if it has a nice strong arch then you have a cracker.

It still looks young and like it has a way to grow. I believe there is a strong chance that the heavy hi on the head will retract as the fish grows around it (which kohaku do), and leave the fish better than it is now. If you look at the fish from the back, it looks like an exclamation mark at the back and a question mark in the front. A fish with such good punctuation can surely make a statement.

I would look after that fish if I were you.

Sansai
    how old is the fish is and how big?
    sashi is very messy and will most likely never clear up completely, ill take a chance and would guess the koi is small 30cm and 1-2 years and a slow grower? so anything could happen, other than the sashi though it is a nice koi.

kb

Thumbs up Nice Bod

Apart from the obvious Sashi issues this is an impressive looking Koi, especially when you consider the import ban you Aussies are stuck with. (although with the current KHV problems running rampant here and there you may be lucky in that for the time-being)
    The body does look to have a great deal of natural strength. Imposing skull hump, thick body, and a meaty tailtube to go with it.
    If the body fulfills its apparant growth potential the pattern could stretch and change considerably, which could be what eventually makes or breaks the sashi problems you see now.
    What is the size at this time??? It looks to me like its about 12"-15".
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Hi

This koi is 42cm and still looks young. In Australia, there is nothing like an identifiable bloodline, so when ever you buy fish, you rarely know the true genetic background. This is even less so in Auctions, where, all koi are from backyard breeders, who are too busy working to stop and tell you the background of the koi. For a backyard this is good koi.

I am also concerned about the sashi. But, I think that this is worth the risk. At the very least, this koi will one day be THE imposing koi in the pond. It was aquired first for its impressive body shape. How the pattern and sashi develops will be a bonus. The true value of this koi is its feel, its character and its ability to be more than it is today.

I appreciate the honest comments. This will be one to repost next year, to see how (she?) has developed.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldKoi View Post
    If you look at the fish from the back, it looks like an exclamation mark at the back and a question mark in the front. A fish with such good punctuation can surely make a statement.
    Very clever appreciation !

BB

Was wondering if there is a better pic of the fish.The pic is too right on top, need more of a facial shot. Well anyways, the niban hi across the shoulder is one of concern but other than that it's a nice Kohak.

Nice Bod

Nice symmetrical powerful conformation, and I'm with Emeraldkoi on the pattern part. *S* That koi makes quite a statement. Very reminiscent of my kohaku Zen's pattern from the Dainichi bloodline. Will love to see if the hi fills in, in the future.

You did good at auction,

Marie