Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone got pics of their Momotaro GoSankes?

Sansai
    same disclaimer as above...

female, 27", age unsure, approx 5 to 7 yrs....

joe, again, perhaps you can add some history to this lady, as you know her....

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    With relation to this thread and the highlighted one earlier "Jumbo" Tosai I'd like to put my thoughts.

I've grown my own bred tosai through the winter for a few years and one conclusion has been a 'definate', out of the many hundred (400+ this last winter), it picks out the poor koi. Ones which do not have the growth poteintual show up real quick and those whose beni, ney 'Hi' is weak, fall apart on me long before any koi hobbyist have the chance to buy any of these koi. None so far have failed with regard to beni, once they have gone through an intensive winter growth as far as I'm aware.

Second point is, to buy any tosai, jumbo or not, you have to have some sort of knowledge of how young koi develop, have an idea of how the breeders line turn out in general and be able to spot good traits and bad, be aware of signs of weakness at pattern edges and most of all, be prepared to take a gamble. If gamblings not for you, go for sansai and older, but pay the price for the breeder taking the gamble.

The top koi photo I posted was bought at Momotaro at the March auction 2003. The pictured koi at the auction was 44cm, the photo was taken one month before in Febuary, just one month on when I bought the koi it was 49cm and 11 months old. I've no need to hide the fact that I paid 310,000 yen for the koi. It stayed at Momotaro for the next summer, sadily there was a male which slipped through the sexing process. As my female was the largest, most mature, it was thought to be the mother of all the fry found in the pond. This slowed it's growth and came from the mud pond looking a little thin and only putting on 10cm in what should have been it's second biggest growing year of it's life.
    It stayed with Momotaro for another summer and then spent the winter unharvested in a cold unfed mud pond. When it was finally harvested this spring it was 70cm as sansai. Although I may have hoped for a little more size, 70cm is really good for any sansai produced anywhere in Japan.

The point I am trying to make is, if you can pick the right koi and have it looked after well, or look after it yourself to the same standard, bargins can be bought. I'm sure I'd not buy the koi now for 310,000 yen, as it is worth a good 3 times that amount, but I took the gamble. Some you win, some you loose.

This koi was bought purly with future Oyagoi (parent) in mind and I had to work hard and go over my budget to get this koi from the Japanese bidders.

Maurice.

Tategoi
    Yikes! JR

Jumbo
    Hi Maurice,

What is your take on the protruding nature of the eyes of your 2 Kohaku? A lineage characteristic? Environmental?

Best Wishes,
    Brady

Jumbo
    maurice,
    I like your 'rip off' momo. Shot, sorry I just have to use some frech here, for 310K yen, which tranlsate to about $2700US, that is damn good. For all the hype jumbo tosai creates here in the USA, $3000US will get you a shitta-koi in comparison.

stan

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Brady, it's a linage problem in this case, but both the photos were taken at import time when under the most stress.

Stan, I wish I could write a responce to your post, but best thing I can say is you need to get to Japan and pick your own with a good trusted dealer/agent.

Maurice.

Tosai

Momotaro Eagle Bloodline

what type of bloodline is that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123