Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chagoi

Chagoi

Is it generally true that if a chagoi is added to the pond collection, that the other fish tend to be less afraid? Is it also a tendency that chagoi tend to be less inhibited than others when feeding as well? I'm planning on adding a chagoi... I've been wanting to. I saw a 15 incher for 200 the other day but it was sold already. ;[ Any answers or comments are greatly appreciated! I'll be heading down to SJ tomorrow to see if I can find one.

Quite true. Chagoi are like pigs of the lot... forever hungry and food comes first. Due to their inhibition they are among the first to surface with gaping mouth which inevitably draws the rest of your koi with them. They are also among the fastest growing koi and they do get quite big. I've bought a chagoi at 15cm in July 2005 and it's now about 70cm .

Though they are quite plain, they are a joy to have in any pond. They are tame enough for you to stroke their back when they surface for food

Yep yep, came back with my chagoi today. The results were instantaneous, he wasn't really afraid of coming up to get food when he saw it. I love him/her so much. I think it's going to be one fish i'll enjoy having around. The other fish like to follow the chagoi around. Yes, the chagoi proved to calm the overall environment of the pond.

Nisai
    We often humanize our koi. Chagoi are more aggressive eaters and seem to have a good personality. What is really happening is the piggy Chagoi is taking all the food and the other koi quickly realize they need to be more agressive at eating if they want their fair share. Koi are not "friendly" so much as they are hungry and they associate you and even your touch with food.

The best way to train your koi to be touched is every time you feed them you put your hand in the water. Like Pavlov's dog they will associate your hand with being fed and swim over seeminly begging to be touched.
    SIMI KOI

Tosai
    Hey Tcheung,

Why didn't you quarantine your baby? Aren't you afraid of KHV?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by koibito View Post
    Hey Tcheung,

Why didn't you quarantine your baby? Aren't you afraid of KHV?
    Koi can also come in with new strains of bacteria that will affect the Koi you already have. If you only buy from one dealer you should still quarantine.

Sansai
    Would quarantine necessarily make any difference to a new bacteria? I'm thinking that they carry bacteria around with them no matter what we do. This may be tha a good reason to buy a new fish every 3-4 months to introduce any new bacteria to the pond and keep the imune systems of the resident fish up to snuff.
    (This theory has no basis in scientific fact)

What do you think of this theory Russell?????

Sansai
    Would quarantine necessarily make any difference to a new bacteria? I'm thinking that they carry bacteria around with them no matter what we do. This may be tha a good reason to buy a new fish every 3-4 months to introduce any new bacteria to the pond and keep the imune systems of the resident fish up to snuff.

What do you think of this theory, Russell?????

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by carolyn swanson View Post

What do you think of this theory, Russell?????
    Yes Carolyn, I do agree with you, but my thought would be that you introduce a fish from your pond to the fish in quarantine and see what happens before you add the new Koi to your pond and risk total destruction because of new bacteria. This would lower your risk to only one Koi.

Russ

Sansai

Russell, Russell, Russell

The part of the theory I thought you might agree with was the part about frequent buying of fish. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast