Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our new fish from Quality Koi

Nisai

Our new fish from Quality Koi

These are our two new fish from Quality Koi. Let us know what you think. They are both about 8" long and my wife was having trouble getting good pics because they were fast and wouldn't hold still.

Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Our new fish from Quality Koi-qk-sanke-1.jpg   Our new fish from Quality Koi-qk-sanke-2.jpg   Our new fish from Quality Koi-taz-1.jpg  

I think the reason they move so fast is that "mother nature" told them about the survival of the fitest....LOL

I really like the sanke a LOT!

Very nice little ones. The Sanke stands out. Don't be surprised if the Sumi fades some. It will be back, but perhaps not in the exact same places.

I get concerned about folks getting such young fish this time of year, because winter is coming where you are. I don't know your set-up or level of knowledge, but for the benefit of others I'd just point out that it is a good idea to be particularly attentive to young fish in cool weather. They do not have the resilience of older koi. If it is possible to give them some warmth over the winter, you should. Perhaps others with more hands-on experience with winter and young fish can comment.

BTW, looking back at the Kohaku, I think you'll enjoy how the pattern stretches as that one grows.

Sansai
    Marc, having seen the sanke in person and knowing Matt, you have another winner on your hands. I love the little guys but like your Torazo Kohaku that won RGC at the recent ZNA show in the Chicago area. I'll have to get your email and send you some of the pictures that we took, for now here is one. If you look close you can see the smaller sanke below the big girl in the picture.

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Our new fish from Quality Koi-skaggs-3.jpg  

Honmei
    I think the Sanke and Kohaku will be nice Koi to learn from. As Mike says, be patient especially with the Sanke as the sumi will change. Warmth for the winter would be a good idea, try to keep them in the 60's if you can.

Torazo has a body to die for on his Koi. I really like the Torazo Kohaku as well. I'm not biased at all.LOL

Nisai
    We will be putting greenhouse over pond in about one month. Still trying to decide on little ones on staying inside or outside. Have a 750 gallon Qt that I can put them in. Mat said to leave outside. Clay will get you my e-mail, just changed a can not remember it right now. Marc

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by gofish View Post
    We will be putting greenhouse over pond in about one month. Still trying to decide on little ones on staying inside or outside. Have a 750 gallon Qt that I can put them in. Mat said to leave outside. Clay will get you my e-mail, just changed a can not remember it right now. Marc
    Hi Marc,

The Japanese bring in all their Koi during the winter. I think that with young Koi especially, it is not worth taking a chance. How harsh are your winters?

Russ

Nisai
    Russell,
    Our winters can vary a lot. As I make my living plowing snow in the winter time, I could probably starve if that's all I did. We can get below zero at times and be in the 60s other times. Last year we didn't get the greenhouse up until February (which wound up being the coldest part of the winter) and once we did, our water never fell below 45. We are putting it up in October this year and doing a double layer of plastic with warm air blowing up in between the two layers. This should help keep the water even warmer than the 45. The air pump also pumps in 72 degree air into the pond. We would gladly send some of this weather to you all in CA.

Marc

Honmei
    Russell,
    Our winters can vary a lot. As I make my living plowing snow in the winter time, I could probably starve if that's all I did. We can get below zero at times and be in the 60s other times. Last year we didn't get the greenhouse up until February (which wound up being the coldest part of the winter) and once we did, our water never fell below 45. We are putting it up in October this year and doing a double layer of plastic with warm air blowing up in between the two layers. This should help keep the water even warmer than the 45. The air pump also pumps in 72 degree air into the pond. We would gladly send some of this weather to you all in CA.

Marc
    No thanks,
    I am happy with what we have.

I can empathize with you

Russell,

Marc
    Here in Okiedokie land we can go from 6" of snow to 70's and playing golf to an ice storm all in the space of a week . It a real Winter Wonderwhatthehelliscomingnext Land

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast