Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm

Sorry for the delay. I was too tired to post photos last night when I got home. The morning harvest was the #1 nissai pond. This is where my showa was. It was a bit windy in the morning, so the pull was a bit more difficult but Mat and Ross still made it look easy. Here are a few once they were corraled.

And our first look at the new crop of nissai.

What I have been waiting for the last year. My showa came out looking very nice. Come on Mat, say it, say it.... F - F - Fe - Fe - Fem - Female. Actually the water was a little too cool for Mat to say with confidence but he felt none of the tell tale signs of manhood. I'll have to wait a bit longer to know for sure.

The afternoon harvest was the big girls from the "oval" pond. Larger sansai, yonsai, one or two gosai and a few parent Koi. The oval pond is huge and had been drain quite a bit but still was fairly deep. The concern was whether the siene net was deep enough to keep them from slipping underneath. In the photo of the mud, notice all the deep pot marks. Those girls had been quite busy routing in the mud.

It was very windy in the afternoon, 30mph constant with 50mph gusts, so they could not use the bags under the siene. Mat and Ross again made it look easy. Brady caught it all on tape for Koi Fixx magazine.

Anyone who has been at the farm knows who really runs the place, Jen and Tara. They are almost ruthless in the way they force those poor guys out into the cold water without nothing but waders and a T-shirt. Here is Tara and Jen laughing it up on shore while Mat and Ross freeze their franks and beans off in the pond.

In all seriousness, Jen and Tara are very gracious hosts. Thanks for all the hospitality.

Once the girls are all pinned in, we got a look at their tall bodies, bright beni and lacquer sumi shining in the sun. For a close up look, you'll need to subscribe to Koi Fixx video magazine.

Mat had to put on his back brace for lifting these girls into the tranport tank. Here are my sanke, Dan & Sharon Olson's sanke and Andrew Desantes' kohaku coming out.

Here is my sanke (upper left) and the Olson's sanke (center bottom).

and more of the big girls. To make a point about just how far their breeding program has come, you have to see the Olson sanke's skin. It may not show up to well in the photo, but the skin on this sanke is incredible. You don't see skin like this on Koi very often, much less on a domestically breed Koi.

Congratulations to Mat, Ross, Joe Z, Jen and Tara. Thanks for another great weekend. I can't wait until next year.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast