Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm

I know how you feel Jan. The last few years I have been saving up my "Koi chits" and frequent flyer miles for the large number of events I want to go to the last part of the year. October for me consists of last weekend judging MAKC, possibly judging another show next weekend (First Coast with Joe) and my annual prilgrimage to Quality Koi at the end of the month. In November, I usually head up to Ray Abell's but this year I will be in Pakistan that weekend (mega frequent flyer miles) judging the Islamabad Koi Show. I then have the ZNA Naples show the weekend before Thanksgiving. I heard today that Keirin will have Hosokai, Kase and Koda onsite the first weekend of December. I need to dig up another Koi chit somehow.
    Henry

Orlando, FL

thanks for the post Henry...I quess Miss Piggy had the right idea when she came up with the line...."more is not enough...." LOL ( Jan she doesn't have a silver spoon either but kisses a handsom prince often ( well actually a frog)...

Henry will look forward to some travellog notes and photos to all those exotic ports of call you have "chitted" your way into...wow how wonderful is that?

Good thing i have penn's grove and spokane coming up or I'd be jealous.....

Today we harvested our fourth nisai pond. Attached are a few pictures from the harvest. These koi were similar in size as yesterday's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-10.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-11.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-12.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-13.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-14.jpg  

Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-15.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-16.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-24.jpg  

Sansai
    Ross,

Do you and Matt know how many koi should be coming out of each pond and do you experience any losses or koi that may slip the net?

Really some great koi coming out, I'm thinking Sharon needs to stay home this year. Building a new house (lots of expense) and now a Quality Koi trip with plenty of blinding beauty koi just for the picking.

Thanks for posting those pics, feels like we are there.

Dan

Dibs!!!! Probably already sold or one of Mat's personal holdbacks. That kohaku may still be small, but it sure has a powerful looking body as well as a pattern that will look great when it gets big. I look forward to seeing "her" in person.

Wow!!

The fish look great! Congrats!

Hi Dan-

New House, New Pond, New Koi! Send Sharon.

We keep track of the number of koi put into each mud pond. There are the occasional no shows at harvest or one-off koi who died during the season. Our biggest concern is water chemistry and oxygen depletion, which can quickly decimate a pond. Our new Koi Life and Health insurance (www.qualitykoi.com/pages/sales.php) protects our customers under these circumstances.

Depending on pond conditions, we can usually catch almost all of the koi in the seine when we are talking about bigger koi. Tosai is a different story. Either way, we drain the pond after harvest to remove any stragglers. Today we drained the pond harvested yesterday and recovered the 7 missing koi, accounting for all koi entered.

Hi Henry-

Good choice, Jen picked that kohaku as her #1 of today!

We look forward to seeing everyone soon.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
    I know how you feel Jan. The last few years I have been saving up my "Koi chits" and frequent flyer miles for the large number of events I want to go to the last part of the year. October for me consists of last weekend judging MAKC, possibly judging another show next weekend (First Coast with Joe) and my annual prilgrimage to Quality Koi at the end of the month. In November, I usually head up to Ray Abell's but this year I will be in Pakistan that weekend (mega frequent flyer miles) judging the Islamabad Koi Show. I then have the ZNA Naples show the weekend before Thanksgiving. I heard today that Keirin will have Hosokai, Kase and Koda onsite the first weekend of December. I need to dig up another Koi chit somehow.
    Hi, Henry.
    Ok, I wanna know why you didn't tell me in Buffalo to start saving "koi chits" cause I was gonna need them. Huh? What's a friend for? I may be a bit slow, but I will get it figured out. LOL Reminds me of when I was a teenager...........so many men, so little time. HA

Dick, did you check out my babies from Nisei on another thread I started here a couple days ago? And, please, if all it takes is kissing frogs, well then, line em up! I have plenty of frog experience.

Yea, Henry .... and the maruten kohaku at "noon" is not too bad, and the Sanke on the right, and the Ochiba looks good in such elegant company, and ....

thank-you Ross for the extra photos....

had to laugh about dan's plea and your reply!

But it's all good fun and you have some wonderful looking koi there!

Jan will be fun next year as we get ready for the next harvest to see how your 3 pictured in the other thread have done a year later...I'm sure they'll look a lot heavier.....LOL

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast