Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm

Today we drained the pond that we harvested yesterday. This pond had an enormous amount of dense string algae which collects in the seine. This can lift the net's lead line off of the bottom of the pond.

So out of 152 entered into the pond, 105 came out yesterday, 42 out today... a wet afternoon scramblin in the mud! Here are photos of the scene and the stragglers. When all was said and done, 5 koi were no shows. One possibility is that they were predated, being of such a small size going into the pond.

Main Event Harvest weekend is Oct 28-29 where we will be harvesting our best nisai, sansai and yonsai ponds. All are welcome to join us to be a part of the harvest as well as to view all of the koi we have harvested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-10-6-06-9.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-10-6-06-8.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-10-6-06-12.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-10-6-06-10.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-10-6-06-7.jpg  

Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-10-6-06-6.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-10-6-06-11.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-10-6-06-2.jpg  

I'm not sure why you bother with the wet gear.

The maruten kohaku deserved being in a solo shot.

Todays harvest photos, fifth nisai pond out of nine.

Mike- Wet gear doesn't do much I give you, but it does help to keep the mud on the outside! Maruten has a cetain sparkle on the nose...

Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-p1100071.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-p1100074.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-p1100075.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-p1100077.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-p1100080.jpg  

Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-p1100092.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I'm not sure why you bother with the wet gear.

The maruten kohaku deserved being in a solo shot.
    The showa in the picture left of it to it isn't so bad either.

Thanks for all the pictures Ross, looks like it's been a great harvest. Congrats!

-Dan

Ack!!... I hope that Ochiba is female and available. If so, Mat should hold her to add something different to the auction.

I need another pond.

Ross: After you harvest a pond, what are the steps followed to acclimate the tosai? When are they checked for anchor worm and the like? When does sorting begin? ..... enough questions for now, I guess.

Thank you all for your kind words and continued support.

Hi Mike-

The koi harvested in these photos were nisai. Either way we bring them in into salt and restrict feeding to begin there acclimation to clear water. Along the way in bowls for sorting and viewing, we do the visual inspection for anchor worm or other observable problems. We also begin a series of scrapes for microscopic inspection. Most sorting occurs on the way into the greenhouse, or as re-grading thru the winter to thin out the growout ponds. Here is a pic of size grading from one of last summers harvest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-p1030393.jpg  

Good luck!

Ross, Good luck with your main harvest on the 28th and 29th. I have enjoyed the picks thus far. You can't appreciate how difficult a pull can be until you have brought up a basket full of string algae and played where's the fish. Looking forward to pics of than main harvest.

Thanks Ross for the continued photo coverage. This weekend it felt like snow when I returned from Idaho but looks like new Jersey is holding on to some good weather for harvest....

Lots to keep the breeder occupied between "pulls". I find it interesting that you are scraping & scoping. So often I read of "standard" regimens being followed at particular farms, exposing the newly harvested koi to chemical treatments that may not be necessary in every instance. It makes sense to do it simply because of the volume of fish, probability there is "something", etc.; but I've thought it would be nice if the extra stress could be avoided when not needed. Seems to me the stress of capture and being moved from the mud to a holding tank is enough for a while.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast