Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm

Agree, Dick. .... From 11" to 24" in Carolina is really doing well. Shows what a mud pond can do.

This Just In

Thank you to all who joined us today for our 555 Event Harvest.

For now, here are a few shots from today (link to 555 and before pics www.qualitykoi.com/pages/555.php) . I'll post some more pics with before and after pics, but for now, tonight, here are two examples of one of our customers koi. Hmmmm, who could it be?

These koi entered the mud pond at 8" May 5 and were harvested today at 18" & 19", oh, and both female by the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-mike-m-sanke-1.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-mike-m-sanke-2.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-p1100201.jpg  

TATTOO IS FEMALE! ...What a face! I was convinced "it" would turn out to be male, but I just couldn't pass up that face. Her companion seems to have an awesome body. I couldn't be more excited to get up there. Thanks for posting those shots, Ross.

[BTW, Auburn 27- Florida 17 !!...I should of bought a lottery ticket. Everything is going right today.]

Couple more pics, speaking of being passed up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-usold1.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-usold2.jpg  

mike for a "showa man " your doing quite nicely with sanke....

Thanks for the post Ross

Congrats!

Nice Sanke. I'd have to say that "Tattoo" takes the cake. I hope you let her back out for another year.

Dick: Yep. I've developed real expertise. Let Mat narrow the field to ones he likes. Let you and Henry select. Let Mat, Ross & the Nisei crew raise them... My job is to stay out of the way...LOL. Now, if I can just remember those steps and repeat them a few times, I may end up having some really nice koi.

Richard: I think I'll take a lesson from the above and let Mat decide what he thinks is worthy of his mud.

Some thoughts ...Tattoo is special simply because of the odd pattern. That she is otherwise developing nicely is grand. But, I cannot tell from the photo about the depth of the Hi. I think that's the real question for her "worthiness". Her un-named companion with the thick body, however, has that splotchy look I've seen on young koi that have excellent, deep Hi that thickens as it matures. The Hi is immature and I think it will clean up in time. The speckly sumi is also immature. I expect more will fade away, to be replaced by strong sumi markings. She reminds me of some Momotaro Sanke photos I've seen. Having never seen either fish in person, I'm really shooting in the dark (but that seldom stops me from making my guesses in public). I think the thick-bodied one is the one to watch for 4 years from now. ... In any event, it is amazing how they have developed compared to their tosai photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    Couple more pics, speaking of being passed up!
    Ouch, ouch - that's me kicking myself. I was very tempted last spring by that kohaku but had just spent a fortune on the new pond. Now she will probably cost 4 to 5 times as much. Just goes to show you what kind of killer deals you can get by buying them as tosai and letting Mat and Ross grow them for you. That combined with their insurance policy takes all the risk away.

Sansai
    Ross, 555 event koi looking great. Your teaser photo, can't find my gin rin showa, did he/she develop more sumi? Oh I know, your all tired, warn out and blinded by the beauty in front of you - but out west we are in the gray with plenty of rain so some bright sparkles in the form of a gin rin showa will bring smiles miles away. Thanks for posting what you have and that kohaku looks fab!

Hi Dan-
    Sorry, thought you had left for Japan already. Here is a picture of your ginrin showa. As you can see in the photo there is an abdominal problem with this koi. From the scales raised on the abdomen as well as the discoloration (under side), we do not believe she will last. Luckily you took advantage of our insurance offer enabling you to either get a refund or replacement. Instead of HiJacking our harvest thread, I am going to start a new thread to gather input on your thoughts regarding our insurance plan.

Also, here are the koi that grew the most, from 8" up to 20". Both sold, but the kohaku was purchased at the very last minute!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-danjols-555.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-555-kohaku.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-555-sanke.jpg  

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast