Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm

Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm

Any koi breeder will tell you that the most exciting and rewarding aspect of our job is Harvest Time!! After many long months of preparing the mud ponds, breeding, culling, and feeding, we finally get to see the results of our hard work.

Today we harvested the third of nine nisai ponds. Attached are a few pictures from the harvest. These 200+ koi went into the mud pond at 5-6 on August 3; today they measured 9.5-13. These were the smallest and the last to enter our nisai mud ponds, once space became available. The largest entered at 14 in May.

To see photos of Nisei Koi growing in mud ponds this season to be harvested over the next 4 weeks go to: www.qualitykoi.com/pages/mudponds.php

Ross Morgan
    Quality Koi @ The Nisei Koi Farm
    www.qualitykoi.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-7.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-1.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-2.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-3.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-4.jpg  

Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-5.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-6.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-koi-bito-8.jpg  

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    Any koi breeder will tell you that the most exciting and rewarding aspect of our job is Harvest Time!! After many long months of preparing the mud ponds, breeding, culling, and feeding, we finally get to see the results of our hard work.

Today we harvested the third of nine nisai ponds. Attached are a few pictures from the harvest. These 200+ koi went into the mud pond at 5-6 on August 3; today they measured 9.5-13. These were the smallest and the last to enter our nisai mud ponds, once space became available. The largest entered at 14 in May.

To see photos of Nisei Koi growing in mud ponds this season to be harvested over the next 4 weeks go to: www.qualitykoi.com/pages/mudponds.php

Ross Morgan
    Quality Koi @ The Nisei Koi Farm
    www.qualitykoi.com

Looks like a great start!

Hey Ross,

You'd mentioned to me that the farm has a handful of sansai, yonsai. Would it be possible to post some pictures up of these, so that we can see first hand the accomplishments of what is possible in your facility and the quality of what is to be said about Nisei Koi Farm?

Rob

Hi Rob-

Yes, we do have a sansai pond, which if you follow the above link is listed as the Long pond and a yonsai pond listed as Oval pond. I'll see if I can get a few more pics to post here.

Ross

Tategoi
    Be there --- or be square!!! ( circa 1968!)

Seriously, it would be great to have a KB crew together to review the fish coming out of the mud pond those last two pulls in October. I know the Southern ZNA boys will be up and the group from God's country out on the left coast are coming, but what about some locals? Maybe my fellow ZNA MAKC members ?
    Maybe I can talk Matt into giving a breeder review AFTER we amateurs do a typical ZNA type judging seminar on five of his best? If there is interest, I will do my best as a ZNA/AKCA judge to organize it as a real judging seminar. Dick B, maybe you could be 'judge for a day' !

JR

sounds like fun JR....thanks to Ross for the update and posting...I'm really looking forward to spending some time getting reacquainted with the gang

Sansai
    JR, God's country east of the Cascade Range, west side "left coast".

Here are few pics from last years harvest, you'll recognize a few people.
    JR, remember this Sanke when Gene and I were visiting a couple of years ago. Hope the Sumi makes an appearance this year, she is a beauty!

Couple of Kohaku coming out of the mud this year, purchased last fall and last but not least "Gosanke Dick", twin brother of Dick B "Mr. Blue" who also was present last fall.

See you the end of the month!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-2005-fall-harvest-quality-koi-011.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-2005-fall-harvest-quality-koi-031.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-2005-fall-harvest-quality-koi-091.jpg   Harvest Time at the Nisei Koi Farm-gosanke-dick.jpg  

Tategoi
    Sure do remember! I'm pumped! Looking forward to seeing what emerges from the depths this harvest! JR

have put a plea in for Ross to post more pics so keep your fingers crossed...
    Dan I like the kohaku with the many steps...very different than standard...
    will be anxious to see how it turns out...from the muck and mire...or as JR puts it "the depths"....

I would absolutely love to go to end of the month harvest. What a treat.
    I'm jealous of you who will be there.
    I am still trying to figure a way to squeeze another trip in the next 4 weeks, when I already have 3 planned. It's about that 'silver spoon' thing.....never had it, LOL ....and something called a 'job'.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast