Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Showa Harvest

Showa Harvest

Nisai Showa bred by Oomo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Showa Harvest-oomo-nisai-showa-oct-06-harvest.jpg  

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Nisai Showa bred by Oomo.
    We plan on visiting Oomo again this year. I hope he has some showa's left in a couple of weeks. Last year he had a lot of Asagi's and Torazo asked him if it was one of his new bloodlines.LOL

Jumbo

Showas,...

Mike, we need more details,... what size,... where do these rank in Oomo's harvest this season?

Great photo.

Best Wishes,
    Brady

Very nice...Fujio has come very far very fast but then when you have a buddy like Nogami-san...it helps!

A coupla years ago i wrote him about finding me some nice asagi, surprised he didn't make a note of me and contact me Russ if he had some......

One of these days i'll get back to breeding my magoi now that i have two good males...just need the mud ponds.....

Brady: these are reported to be 20"-22" nisai. I borrowed the photo from a site used by Oomo to promote his business. My impression is that these are among his best nisai... ones in a nisai pond with very low stocking. Here are some more shots, including my favorite tategoi Showa of the season (so far).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Showa Harvest-oomo-nisai-showa-06-harvest.jpg   Showa Harvest-oomo-nisai-showa-oct-06-harvest-2.jpg   Showa Harvest-oomo-showa-06-personal-fav.jpg  

Dick: The close relationship between Oomo, Nogami, Kawakami (Torazo)and Ueno really shows in their Showa. They produce such strong bodies, good, deep beni and dramatic sumi with a tendency toward kage-effect slow consolidation. Powerful fish. When I see their Showa I immediately think "It's one of 'them'". But I can't tell the 4 of them apart at all. I think they trade too much among themselves for any of them to have their own line, which gives them a lot more opportunity to learn what to keep and what to cull. [BTW, I received a end-of-season Nogami Showa last week...a 14"tosai that spent her summer in inventory. She gets her second season now until Xmas. I've got fine growing temps now. I'm hoping she does as well as the Torazo male I sent to a new home early in the year.]

Tosai

Oomo Showa

I won this showa in an koi auction during the Malaysia Open in Feb 2006. Understood that all the 10 showa were selected and brought over for the auction by Mr Fujio. On his recommendation, we placed this showa in one of Sentul's mud pond. It was harvested early this month at 54cm, 24cm growth in 8 month. Attacted are the photo. Appreciate your comment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Showa Harvest-compare.jpg  

Tosai
    Here is a photo of a Gin Rin Showa that Fujio San put back into the mud pond for me this past spring. The photo was taken the day he put it in the mud pond. I hope to see it next week.

Thumbs up Impressive

Quote Originally Posted by wtansk View Post
    I won this showa in an koi auction during the Malaysia Open in Feb 2006. Understood that all the 10 showa were selected and brought over for the auction by Mr Fujio. On his recommendation, we placed this showa in one of Sentul's mud pond. It was harvested early this month at 54cm, 24cm growth in 8 month. Attacted are the photo. Appreciate your comment.
    Sentul's mud did well for you. The growth is excellent of course, but what is most noteworthy about the body conformation is the head. In the first pic it looked like it would grow well, but the nose looked rather pointy. Not now! The nose broadened to a nice full look that matches the impressive body, which is nice and thick throughout.
    The development of the Sumi and Beni is impressive. Thick and rich looking (I wish the picture was bigger). Nice even Motoguro, and the overall pattern is somehow balanced in a somewhat non-traditional way. The left/right contrast paints a very interesting picture IMHO.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Wtansk: Personally, I am hoping some additional sumi rises on her right side to balance better. For me, pattern in Showa is more important than in the other gosanke because it creates the powerfulness of Showa. I think some more will come up, and it will not take a lot to improve the balance. Secondly, I think her body shows just the right type of growth. She has gotten longer and has not gotten much bulk. Third, I'm wondering if the straightness of her body is accurately depicted in the recent photo. It seems to me that there is a bit of "stiffness" in the bodies of good Showa capable of growing very large and holding their eggs well. (Maybe from magoi genes in the background???) If she keeps a straight body when swimming, you'll know what I mean. An impressive Showa with more to be seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast