Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Fine tuning the eye with age...

Fine tuning the eye with age...

I know I have strayed off the path of nishikigoi in the past months...Maybe burnout? Dunno personally, but I have split my time with koi and goldfish now. I still try to maintain my eye by looking at fish, while trying to study goldfish....

My question to all, especially to Dick B and others....Do you guys feel you have to look at koi, especially same grade or level to maintain your eye.

With the changing of parents and emphasis on improvements, I think it is critical to constantly being exposed to top notch koi. Yes because it does help to define and teach the eye what to look for and also with certain breeders to keep up with their changes.

I have always loved matsunosuke and toshio sakai's constant changing. the tosai Dan, Sharon and i got and shared here recently was to learn about his new maruzome black. I noticed less and less on his koi any sashi. The koi with magoi in them you can anticipate with the body shape at an early age.

for sports fans, the example i would say about keeping your eye exposed and trained would be akin to seeing some sports teams playing over their head to compete while others only rise ( actually play down to ) to the level of their competitors. The challenge is knowing what level has to met. You know that level by being able to identify it.

When I give personal lessons, It's difficult at best to point out a better fish if the place we're fishing at does not stock the full range of a-aa- and aaa! You eye has to be able to see the difference and the teacher has to be able to explain what your seeing....

That's always been a concern of mine these days is having access to the very best available because i feel you do loose out if you don't constantly
    keep up with a practiced eye...what's that old saying..."practice makes perfect".....

I also think students can suffer burn out and sometimes it's good to give yourself a little space and challenge the old brain with some different challenge. I love to jump back and forth between bonsai and koi. haven't gotten into goldfish, but it's always fun to learn and be challenged...hope my ramblings answered your question.....

Thanks Dick, even though I havent bought any fish this year I still study....goldfish is my next goal...maybe bonsai?

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Thanks Dick, even though I havent bought any fish this year I still study....goldfish is my next goal...maybe bonsai?
    Tonio
    You should talk to JR & Art L. they both do goldies, I hear they have some very nice speciments...

Dick
    I agree with you, the only way to keep or improve your eye, is by seeing as many high quality koi as you can and learning from each one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    I love to jump back and forth between bonsai and koi
    Hi Dick

I do this too.

Part of appreciating good bonsai, is about reading the "story" in the tree. If you can read the story, the appreciation is enhanced. I look at koi in the same way & I read the story.

BB

When it comes right down to it, the fish are our ultimate teachers. If we stop looking at the fish, we cease to learn what they have to teach us.

Keep your eyes tuned, Tonio...

Marie