Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: big mouth = big fish

  1. #1
    Daihonmei dick benbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    seattle, wa
    Posts
    6,340

    big mouth = big fish

    was listening to a conversation today at a dealership where the subject of a big mouth on a koi came up as a sure sign to insure a fish with growth potential. looking for some comments, true, false, what criteria do you use to distinquish a "big mouth'....

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, and Placerville
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    was listening to a conversation today at a dealership where the subject of a big mouth on a koi came up as a sure sign to insure a fish with growth potential. looking for some comments, true, false, what criteria do you use to distinquish a "big mouth'....
    My sister has a big mouth, shes like 5' 6". Oh wait this is about koi......

  3. #3
    Daihonmei dick benbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    seattle, wa
    Posts
    6,340
    when I posted this question I envisioned a comment similar to yours. Quess i should have tried to warn all the big sisters of the world that it was coming....

  4. #4
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    Interesting question, Dick. The biggest mouth (in width) in my pond is that of a male Goshiki who is 24" long. But he is not the largest fish in the pond. In fact, he has a naturally thin body; but he is broad at the shoulders in proportion to the rest of the body. I think the large mouth comes from Soragoi in the background genetics. Usually, though, I tend to think that a big body frame results in a large mouth ... not to be confused with an underfed, skinny fish whose seems large just because the fish is emaciated. ....I'm looking forward to others' comments.

  5. #5
    Daihonmei PapaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Davenport, Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,726
    I've been under the impression that the relationship in size between the mouth in proportion to a nice wide head was the better indicator, but I'm relatively new at this so I'm also looking forward to hearing from the experts.

    BTW Eric, Since you are the "tall one" in the family, your sis would probably point at you as proof positive that it must be true (although you do have more of a typical male torpedo frame )

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, and Placerville
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I've been under the impression that the relationship in size between the mouth in proportion to a nice wide head was the better indicator, but I'm relatively new at this so I'm also looking forward to hearing from the experts.

    BTW Eric, Since you are the "tall one" in the family, your sis would probably point at you as proof positive that it must be true (although you do have more of a typical male torpedo frame )
    Haha, swimmer bod, yeh I kjnow

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, and Placerville
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I've been under the impression that the relationship in size between the mouth in proportion to a nice wide head was the better indicator, but I'm relatively new at this so I'm also looking forward to hearing from the experts.

    BTW Eric, Since you are the "tall one" in the family, your sis would probably point at you as proof positive that it must be true (although you do have more of a typical male torpedo frame )

    YEh I guess my conformation is on the male side,and is a lil off, Im a bit skinny, but I could fatten my self up with some good Hikari Growth and Gold, No scratch the growth, I got those good genes from the Blood Line Eckles AND! Cendejas. I have won the show at like 300 Bu already. I won best in size for asian/white/mexican.

  8. #8
    Daihonmei PapaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Davenport, Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,726

    Fatten YOU Up???

    Fat chance . You appear to have the same metabolism as mine (according to one of my daughters I have "hummingbird" dna ) I'm 50 years old and my weight hasn't varied more than 5 lbs for the last 35 years (and I still eat like a horse )
    I've also been told I have a big mouth (who me??? ) In fact, I was once informed that if B.S. was music I'd be a brass band

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, and Placerville
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Fat chance . You appear to have the same metabolism as mine (according to one of my daughters I have "hummingbird" dna ) I'm 50 years old and my weight hasn't varied more than 5 lbs for the last 35 years (and I still eat like a horse )
    I've also been told I have a big mouth (who me??? ) In fact, I was once informed that if B.S. was music I'd be a brass band
    Oh yeah! Metabolism equivalent to having a black hole in my stomach.

  10. #10
    Honmei
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Martinez,CA
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I've been under the impression that the relationship in size between the mouth in proportion to a nice wide head was the better indicator, but I'm relatively new at this so I'm also looking forward to hearing from the experts.

    BTW Eric, Since you are the "tall one" in the family, your sis would probably point at you as proof positive that it must be true (although you do have more of a typical male torpedo frame )
    Yes, it is my understanding that it is the relationship between the head, eyes and mouth. Like Eric pointed out, having a big mouth isn't enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The 'Big 3'... Or Is It The 'Big 4...5 or 6'?
    By MikeM in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-27-, 12:01 AM
  2. Koi FIsh lips got big?
    By Bee_Koi in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 03:01 PM
  3. How big?
    By N2koi in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
  4. Big Pond or Big waste of time and money?
    By aquitori in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 03:16 AM
  5. Using Big Parents produces Big Fry?
    By aquitori in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 04:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com