Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big mouth = big fish

big mouth = big fish

was listening to a conversation today at a dealership where the subject of a big mouth on a koi came up as a sure sign to insure a fish with growth potential. looking for some comments, true, false, what criteria do you use to distinquish a "big mouth'....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    was listening to a conversation today at a dealership where the subject of a big mouth on a koi came up as a sure sign to insure a fish with growth potential. looking for some comments, true, false, what criteria do you use to distinquish a "big mouth'....
    My sister has a big mouth, shes like 5' 6". Oh wait this is about koi......

when I posted this question I envisioned a comment similar to yours. Quess i should have tried to warn all the big sisters of the world that it was coming....

Interesting question, Dick. The biggest mouth (in width) in my pond is that of a male Goshiki who is 24" long. But he is not the largest fish in the pond. In fact, he has a naturally thin body; but he is broad at the shoulders in proportion to the rest of the body. I think the large mouth comes from Soragoi in the background genetics. Usually, though, I tend to think that a big body frame results in a large mouth ... not to be confused with an underfed, skinny fish whose seems large just because the fish is emaciated. ....I'm looking forward to others' comments.

I've been under the impression that the relationship in size between the mouth in proportion to a nice wide head was the better indicator, but I'm relatively new at this so I'm also looking forward to hearing from the experts.

BTW Eric, Since you are the "tall one" in the family, your sis would probably point at you as proof positive that it must be true (although you do have more of a typical male torpedo frame )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I've been under the impression that the relationship in size between the mouth in proportion to a nice wide head was the better indicator, but I'm relatively new at this so I'm also looking forward to hearing from the experts.

BTW Eric, Since you are the "tall one" in the family, your sis would probably point at you as proof positive that it must be true (although you do have more of a typical male torpedo frame )
    Haha, swimmer bod, yeh I kjnow

Banned

YEh I guess my conformation is on the male side,and is a lil off, Im a bit skinny, but I could fatten my self up with some good Hikari Growth and Gold, No scratch the growth, I got those good genes from the Blood Line Eckles AND! Cendejas. I have won the show at like 300 Bu already. I won best in size for asian/white/mexican.

Fatten YOU Up???

Fat chance . You appear to have the same metabolism as mine (according to one of my daughters I have "hummingbird" dna ) I'm 50 years old and my weight hasn't varied more than 5 lbs for the last 35 years (and I still eat like a horse )
    I've also been told I have a big mouth (who me??? ) In fact, I was once informed that if B.S. was music I'd be a brass band

Banned
    Fat chance . You appear to have the same metabolism as mine (according to one of my daughters I have "hummingbird" dna ) I'm 50 years old and my weight hasn't varied more than 5 lbs for the last 35 years (and I still eat like a horse )
    I've also been told I have a big mouth (who me??? ) In fact, I was once informed that if B.S. was music I'd be a brass band
    Oh yeah! Metabolism equivalent to having a black hole in my stomach.

Honmei

Yes, it is my understanding that it is the relationship between the head, eyes and mouth. Like Eric pointed out, having a big mouth isn't enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast