Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Purchasing Small Koi

Purchasing Small Koi

What is the smallest size koi that a breeder(s) release for purchase? Just wondering with all the culling that goes on throughout the seasons, what do the breeders consider safe to sell to less informed hobbiest? Low quality 3-4 inch koi or younger? My father wants to come to Japan and hunt in the cheap-seats for koi. How much would these koi cost?

I myself would rather purchase developing nisai or sansai nishikigoi.

I would love to hear about your experiences...

Peter waddington tells the story about finding a small out of the way breeder with very nice quality koi that he had to come back in the spring to purchase.
    When he saw them they were 3-4 inches and he was hopeful they would be 6-8 my spring and able to fly home.

pricing is a difficult thing to speculate on. If you have the breeder's time to bowl etc then to you his tateshita have value and you may pay a bit more for them then if he sold em in mass to a wholesaler. Also if you bought more than onesy twosy ( might as well buy quite a few since you'll have to pay for the water to ship ) would quess somewhere's around 2,500 yen or 3,000 ea.

be sure and explain that these koi need to be QT'd before introduction to the pond. In today's world, it just has to be done......

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    What is the smallest size koi that a breeder(s) release for purchase? Just wondering with all the culling that goes on throughout the seasons, what do the breeders consider safe to sell to less informed hobbiest? Low quality 3-4 inch koi or younger? My father wants to come to Japan and hunt in the cheap-seats for koi. How much would these koi cost?

I myself would rather purchase developing nisai or sansai nishikigoi.

I would love to hear about your experiences...
    I don't know of any breeders that would spend the time with you to pick small cheap Koi. When it comes to their Tosai, it is volume that counts. If you are going to Japan to buy cheap Koi you would need to go to a retailer. Then the magical question is, how do you get them back? The new restrictions would make it difficult.

Thanks, great advice as always. I will need to have pop to spend more time on completing his pond then thinking about cheap fish to grow. Back in the 70's he kept a few nice koi for shows. Then quit when he had us kids. Still lots to learn about water quality and koi in the 2000's. I told him pond space will become too valueable once he starts down that road.

Nisai
    if you want cheap 3-4" koi there is no sense in going to Japan for them. You will pay 100x their value in shipping to get them home. Just buy from an importer, it will be cheaper in the long run. Go to Japan to get quality.

I agree with you from a cost standpoint but to me a trip to japan is not about the cost of koi. It's the experience. I never had much to spend in the way of money for koi. Especially with the koi kichi's I ran with. One trip I saw 8,000,000 yen change hands on a daiinichi showa. If i was lucky I'd have about the same amount to spend on koi as it did to get me there. I could have gotten twice the fish by not going but, ya know, I wouldn't trade the experience.

If you guys notice, it wouldn't be much of a trip for Akai-San. Just the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagaoka Station and then a quick car trip to koi mecca. He could always select the fish for his dad and make the necessary arrangements.

Akai-San

I agree with your last bit of wisdom - tell your dad to invest more time/money into the pond first - then think about going to Japan to buy fish. I also think he has an alterior motive for wanting to go to Japan- HE MISSES HIS SON!!

Akai-san, once at Nagaoka station, there's a JR car rental, it's ~JPY4,700 a day... you can even rent one with an expired California driver's license!

Thanks for the travel advice but from where I'm coming from in Tokyo, the Shinkansen will still cost $200+ each way plus the car rental and gas, then the lodging (per person). I'll definately need to spend more than a weekend in Niigata to make it worth while. Still not ready to purchase koi either, so tough for me to go and not want something...of course we can all talk ourselves into buying something...

I can rent a tour van for $70/day (includes free tolls). Just have to make the seven to eight hour drive to the motherland. Still mapping out the best routes for a trip possibly this coming Springtime. Still wouldn't buy anything (have no place for a large enough pond). In the mean time, I'll be practicing my Japanese...

hey akai-san, i thought shinkansen from tokyo sta - nagaoka sta was around US$65 each way? i've done it a few times before, and if it were 200 clams, the cheap side of me would have vetoed it fur sure