Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Ojiya bound PSKoi!

Our group was wondering when Sacramento Koi Club is having their next show, some talk of attending and possibly entering.

Dan,

The Camellia Koi Club would love to have you, Sharon and your group at the 2007 Sacramento Koi Show. The dates that Russ gave are accurate.
    Looking forward to see you all next September.

Sansai
    Thanks Russ and Garry, have blocked out Sept. 22-23rd, 2007, if the stars are all aligned we will be there.

Mike, I noticed you're excitement during the auction, kind of hard to just sit there with all those fantastic koi in front of you. I'm a little surprised you were able to abstain with only 7 new, did you stay the full two weeks?

Russ, you have some serious work ahead of you with that count (184), Nisai a lot easier than Sansai. Moving company for transport, hopefully you have adequate help, will be a long day! Will give you're QT system a real workout, I would guess.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjols View Post
    Thanks Russ and Garry, have blocked out Sept. 22-23rd, 2007, if the stars are all aligned we will be there.

Mike, I noticed you're excitement during the auction, kind of hard to just sit there with all those fantastic koi in front of you. I'm a little surprised you were able to abstain with only 7 new, did you stay the full two weeks?

Russ, you have some serious work ahead of you with that count (184), Nisai a lot easier than Sansai. Moving company for transport, hopefully you have adequate help, will be a long day! Will give you're QT system a real workout, I would guess.
    Hi Dan,

I have several trucks lined up to bring in the Koi. There is nothing like shipment day - Christmas in November!!!!

I will have 20,000 gallons available for quarantine.

Russ

Sansai
    Russ,

With 20,000 gallons, do you have several tanks or one? Also, great opportunity to explain you're procedure for QT. Koi Keepers and newbies alike need to understand the complexities and time you go through to sell and/or keep koi. If you have time and don't mind reviewing I think all would be interested.

Dan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    Hi Dan,

I have several trucks lined up to bring in the Koi. There is nothing like shipment day - Christmas in November!!!!

I will have 20,000 gallons available for quarantine.

Russ
    I really cant wait to see all those new koi in a week.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjols View Post
    Russ,

With 20,000 gallons, do you have several tanks or one? Also, great opportunity to explain you're procedure for QT. Koi Keepers and newbies alike need to understand the complexities and time you go through to sell and/or keep koi. If you have time and don't mind reviewing I think all would be interested.

Dan
    Hi Dan,
    I am happy to explain what we do. First off, the 20,000 gallons is eight completely seperate systems. When we buy our Koi we buy directly from breeders and we DO NOT use trans shippers. On the morning that our Koi leave Niigata they are packed by each of the breeders individually. They are taken to Torazo's facility where they are loaded on a truck to Narita airport. Our Koi never mix until the quarantine process is over.

Trans shippers take all of the Koi that you buy and then put them together, pack them arbitrarily and ship them. This increases the risk of infection at the facility.

When the Koi arrive, they are unpacked and put in a QT tank that only has the Koi from a particular breeder from that shipment. Nothing is mixed. I have bought from eight breeders, so I have eight systems to quarantine in.

I remove a percentage of Koi from each of the breeders and then they are mixed in a single seperate QT system so that they can be heated to 74 - 78 degrees F. They are kept at this temperature for two to three weeks to see if they have KHV. We do not heat to burn off the KHV, we heat to activate it.

Once the Koi have settled into their QT systems we add .03% salt and after a few days we begin to scrape and scope to see what they might have. If they do not have any parasites we do not add any medications. If we find something we medicate specifically for what we find.

This year we are also using a new product we were introduced to by Miwa Sakai. It is Pro-Oxine, which is an anti bacterial dip. After the Koi have been through all of this and we watch them for a couple of weeks, and show no signs of problems, we release them from quarantine.

Russ, no doubt that a lot of work goes into Qting process. Since energy costs are so high, What kind of heaters do you use?

Joe

In today's market KHV is on most peoples mind and I forgot to ask in my post above. Does Pskoi test for KHV such as the elisa testing?

Joe

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi View Post
    Russ, no doubt that a lot of work goes into Qting process. Since energy costs are so high, What kind of heaters do you use?

Joe
    We have gas and electric heaters.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi View Post
    In today's market KHV is on most peoples mind and I forgot to ask in my post above. Does Pskoi test for KHV such as the elisa testing?

Joe

We have just purchased a centrifuge and will be testing.

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast