Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best method to treat Ich

Fry
    Steve. the salt treatment alone right now might suffice. Raising the water temp would probably speed up the life cycle so you might kill off the ich sooner. I don't think that rate of increase would harm the fish if that is what you decide to do.

is it Ich ???

finally, I got the pix. please help me ID the disease. I think it's Ich but I need confirmation.

last friday, it was one spot on the right fin but now it spreaded to the left fin and couple small spots on the head.

I started the treatment yesterday with Quick Cure along with slowly raising the water temp to 77 degrees. it's about 73 degrees now.

I am going to start another quick cure treatment today. would 10% water change before 2nd treatment be suffice?

appreciate any tips on getting this fish healthy again,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best method to treat Ich-dsc_0194-resized.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    finally, I got the pix. please help me ID the disease. I think it's Ich but I need confirmation.

last friday, it was one spot on the right fin but now it spreaded to the left fin and couple small spots on the head.

I started the treatment yesterday with Quick Cure along with slowly raising the water temp to 77 degrees. it's about 73 degrees now.

I am going to start another quick cure treatment today. would 10% water change before 2nd treatment be suffice?

appreciate any tips on getting this fish healthy again,
    That is Carp Pox...no known cure...it goes away when the water is warmer...and comes back when the water is cold...In other words it wont kill your fish.

that's a ....... relief!!! thanks, Tony!!

that's a ....... relief!!! thanks, Tony!!
    It is good that you posted the pic. I have a Kohak that does that every year, I havent had any cases of it spreading to any other of the fish in the pond. I am sure someone else on this board can suggest something for treatment...

btw, I hope you are right. I lost a tosai back in April that had white milky plagues all over its body. it started with a couple small spots and spread out all over it's body. I put it out of its misery.

Honmei
    btw, I hope you are right. I lost a tosai back in April that had white milky plagues all over its body. it started with a couple small spots and spread out all over it's body. I put it out of its misery.
    It is possible to remove carp pox and treat the area for infection.

Fry
    please share your best method of treating ich.

my 16" shusui is having ich on both pectoral fins. it's been there for a few days already but I can't treat the fish yet since it just endured 1 hr transferred from another pond. I want to give the fish a few more days to recover from the stress.

Steve
    There are many methods of treating ich on fish and aquarium salt is just another way it can be done. What you would want to do here is do a combination treatment of both aquarium salt and heat. Heating the water in your aquarium will speed up the life cycle of the parasite making the treatment quicker using aquarium salt. The reason for wanting to speed up the life cycle of ich is that ich can only be killed during the free swimming stage. By heating up the tank it will make them reproduce faster speeding up the time when they are vulnerable. You should add about 2-3 tablespoons of aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of water. What you should do is mix the aquarium salt in a container of water first then slowly add this to your aquarium. You should keep the temperature up to 86 degrees Fahrenheit along with the aquarium salt for 10 days to make sure all ich has been killed in your tank. If by chance that ich is still there you should try treating your fish with an ich medication.

do you any idea where I can get a liquid drip test to test the salinity or salt

Hi Zurobi,

I don't believe there are drop test kits for salinity.
    I've only come across where testing for salinity is done by a hydrometer or a salt meter.
    I currently use a hydrometer.

Maybe some one with more experience can provide a different method.

KoiKisses

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast