Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best method to treat Ich

A salt meter will work, KoiMed makes one which is very good and is available from a number of on-line sources. A hydrometer traditionally used for marine aquariums will not, as it doesn't test the levels that we use for treatment in koi ponds and has to be modified for pond use; even then it's not entirely accurate. Aquarium Pharmacuticals makes a drop kit that is available from many pond suppliers on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by KoiKisses View Post
    Hi Zurobi,

I don't believe there are drop test kits for salinity.
    I've only come across where testing for salinity is done by a hydrometer or a salt meter.
    I currently use a hydrometer.

Maybe some one with more experience can provide a different method.

KoiKisses
    Thanks that's what I heard, we just purchased a hydrometer but the scale wasn't for pond, don't know if I'm wrong, someone else told they come in drop but I couldn't find it only @ ebay but don't know if they're going to be good, thanks again

Tosai
    That is pox for sure, and actually it's NOT better. You would have been better off with Ich, because ick is curable.

Pox is a viral disease and highly contagious. As one of the folks posted, it flares up in warm weather and then goes away as weather cools. It can come back again each year when the summer heat returns. It also can spread to the other fish.

Essentially ALL the fish in your pond are exposed now. Any new fish that you add to the pond will become exposed. It doesn't mean they will show the symptoms of those waxy looking white spots, but they are now virus carriers. You must NEVER give any of those fish to anyone or any of your plants, etc. If your fish breed, you should NEVER sell or give those babies to anyone as you will be putting carp pox into their pond. This is how viruses spread. So, you you need to hang onto your fish until their demise, or euthanize them humanely. The only way to rid yourself of pox, is essentially to destroy the herd, dump all your media, clean the pond/equipment with chlorine, etc.

Please be sure to not pass these fish on to others.

However, your fish will act/eat normally and will not be harmed by the pox. You just have to live with your fish looking unsightly for what could be one summer season, or all of 'em.

I can only assume you bought some new fish this year that you added to the pond and that fish was a carrier and bought it into your pond. Try to think about when you added a new member in, and how soon you saw pox on your fish. The one with the pox could have been the carrier, or one you bought in was a carrier and never showed the symptoms, but infected the others. Reason its important to figure it out, is that you want to avoid the breeder/seller where you got that fish...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Pox is very common, but as already stated, has no cure.

The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals drop test is sufficiently accurate for pond use when using salt for treatment of Ich. I would not recommend it for saltwater aquarium use where salt levels need to be more precisely determined.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals drop test is sufficiently accurate for pond use when using salt for treatment of Ich. I would not recommend it for saltwater aquarium use where salt levels need to be more precisely determined.
    Ok the thing is where to get it cause we couldn't find anywhere here in Orlando

Quote Originally Posted by ZUROBI3 View Post
    Ok the thing is where to get it cause we couldn't find anywhere here in Orlando
    Pets Mart or Petco..............

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Pets Mart or Petco..............
    Yes we went to both of them, petsmart and petco all they have is the hydrometer, petsmart told us that they use to carry the salt test but not anymore

If you use "The Google" you will find any number of on-line sources. I hesitate to recommend any specific one because I don't want to insult all the wonderful vendors who help pay for this site....

just google (or yahoo, or bing) "API salt test kit."

Quote Originally Posted by lypope View Post
    If you use "The Google" you will find any number of on-line sources. I hesitate to recommend any specific one because I don't want to insult all the wonderful vendors who help pay for this site....

just google (or yahoo, or bing) "API salt test kit."

Thanks I'll do that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123