Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best method to treat Ich

best method to treat Ich

please share your best method of treating ich.

my 16" shusui is having ich on both pectoral fins. it's been there for a few days already but I can't treat the fish yet since it just endured 1 hr transferred from another pond. I want to give the fish a few more days to recover from the stress.

Steve

First question is what have you treated the fish with so far?

have not treat it with anything yet.

didn't realize it has ich until the fish was in the my friend's new pond (it's a long story) but like I said earlier, the fish is still under stress so I don't want to net it yet but would like to treat it with few days.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    First question is what have you treated the fish with so far?

You can use Quick Cure...Better treat it now while the water temps are still warm..

Fry
    I have successfully treated ich with 2-3 pounds of salt per 100 gallons. Not sure this would be the thing to do for very long now that water temps are cooling in many parts of the country but here in Florida it works fine. Salt dosage is spread over three days. In cooler climes salt may work to a disadvantage by lowering the freezing point of water which can harm koi.

If no salt is in the pond, then malachite green/formalin will also do a good job. Read label on medication container, for example, for ProForm-C it says not to use below water temp of 50dF. You can make up your own malachite green/formalin. See the AKCA Guide to Koi Health (see page 10).

Daihonmei
    Truth be known, koi do not get ich! At least not like tropical fish get ich. Koi DO get ich infestations when their immune systems and adrenaline levels are way off, otherwise they have pretty great immunity to ich. So my suggestion would be to correct the fish's problem ( environmental or G.A.S.) and THEN you can easily get rid of the ich. In fact, the ich might just disappear on its own once the fish is up to speed again. JR

Sansai
    You did state it is only on the pectoral fins...so maybe it is just oyaboshi. Sorry about the japanese spelling on that one.
    In more regular terms, just breeding stars exihibited by male koi and nothing to worry about.

My koi came down with Ich a few years ago. Caused me a real panic because I could not figure out what was wrong for so long. It showed up a week after a new fish was added in November. The fish came from "up North" where water temperatures were in upper 50sF and placed in water that was in the 70sF. The new fish did fine with a short week in QT. When added to the pond, all the resident fish had Ich in a week. The new one did not come down with it. Once I realized what it was, I added salt to 0.5%. After two weeks gradual water changes were made. The pond was at or above 0.3% for 4 weeks. Ich was gone and has not returned. During the first week I did not feed. After a week in the salt the fish were acting normal, so normal feeding was resumed. ...As Joe points out, using salt has consequences in low temperature climates. A good example of how sound advice may not be sound if all the facts are not known.

looks like I have two options to go with so far. either use quick cure or salt at warmer temp. my QT water temp is around 60 degrees right now, if I choose to add salt @ 0.5%, how many degees should the water temp increase per day? would 3 to 5 degrees increase per day be too fast?

Steve

Fry
    On aquarium fish you see dandruff like flakes over the back of the fish. On koi you do not see this so much and by the time you think you see it, the fish is pretty far gone. Ich is easy to ID under the scope. In the two ponds treated the outbreak was concurrent in these ponds and about a week after the introduction of some new fish bought by the owners at a club auction. We had not had any koi health problems for some time in club members' ponds so at the time some quarantined and some did not. Others who got new koi from the same source did not lose fish as they put them in a Q tank. Turns out the owner of the source fish began losing a LOT of fish too. Sad to see a whole pond infected this way but as Mike said the response to the salt treatment was almost immediate so most of the remaining fish in both ponds made a full recovery. It was the quick ID and the initiation of salt treatment that saved the day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast