Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matching price with quality.

Tosai
    What price range would you put on these koi? granted you only have the photos to go by.

Fish #1 1 1/2yrs old 11" goromo

Fish #2 1 1/2yrs old 9" ochiba

At that size...$100-200. Nice fish...like them both.

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    The mark up on fish that size is typically 4 to 8 times cost. I have seen US dealers pay $50 each for koi ( as a group buy) and then grade them at home and sell them from $175- $350 state side. This is the koi business and why it tends to attact the conman types. Sorry, its true, the fish are innocent however so to stay in the game, learn about value. Doitsu fish, for instance, have no real value in Japan unless they are exceptional. And male doitsu fish are all usually sold in the small sizes as they tend not to last much past three-four years of age. They make great baby champions however and always please the public. Still, don't pay too much for them.

There is a saying that some well meaning types often share with beginners seeking advice- " don't let anyone influence what you buy, buy what YOU like". This always erked me. Beginners like the thin male glittering fish that are considered trash in Japan and sell for a fraction of what good koi do. Education is your best weapon against being taken advantage of by predator type dealers. And unfortunately there are many of those out there.
    JR
    You know what...that saying kind of erk's me as well. My father was an art dealer for many years. Many people used this saying in art as well. My father used to always tell me...you can waste $500 on something you like, or spend $500 on something you like that will acually be worth something. It served him well...he still buy's and sells some art and has never done anything but make a profit on every acquisition. It was wise advice that I don't always follow properly...but I'm trying..LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    You are fortunate to live in California where koi dealers are plentiful. The dealers there try to educate their customers so they will understand why buying from them is better then buying from the dealer around the corner. So I would say yes that is true where you are. I live in Virginia. There are not many koi dealers. Their idea of educating is telling you something while knowing you can't go to the koi dealer down the street (cause there isn't one) to get better information. Do you see what I am getting at? Information is only as good as the source. If the consumer buys it thinking it is worth the $300 they paid for it based on the information given to them by the dealer then its only worth that $300 until somebody that actually knows something comes around and bursts their bubble. Recently I've met some other hobbyist in my area and have seen some of their koi. It's amazing how many "future GC's" are in the area. It amazes how so many of these folks have been snowed into believing their pond grade koi are future GC's. Don't get me wrong I have PLENTY of pond grade koi myself and see nothing wrong with that, its just that I am aware of it and these folks are not. It's partially their fault for not educating themselves from other sources and it's partially the dealers fault for misrepresenting what they are selling and it's partially my fault for not telling them (I just couldn't break their hearts). So back to my original point is that the buyer needs to be educated and to add on to that they need to be educated from a reputable source.

The most competive area for dealers is California...With a new dealer popping up every year it seems anyone can become a dealer without knowledge. Also on the whole sale side a NON-Educated dealer can whole sale to another NON-Educated dealer. I know in Japan Breeders will sell to the level of what the dealer knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 68bruin View Post
    What price range would you put on these koi? granted you only have the photos to go by.

To small for Nisai, maybe these fish at best $100-$175...granted they are sold this season as Nisai. If someone tried selling you these fish for $300 I would tell the deal NIZSO....Japanese for NO WAY!!! hahahaha

for the 9" orchiba, I would pay $125 max and $100 max for the goromo. I am not too crazy about this goromo.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 68bruin View Post

$300.00 - Goromo
    $75.00 - Ochiba

Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
    $300.00 - Goromo
    $75.00 - Ochiba

Even if the fish is Nisai at 11" you still would pay $300 Dinh? Your the one hobbyist setting the tone of prices in the Bay Area...

$45 bucks each. in california.

Tosai
    Wow, This is very interesting. The responses on this board have been $100- 300, and with Xiao low-balling at $45.

I posted the same photos on another board and got responses of $250- $800 with two agreeing on $800 for the goromo ( one of which is a koi judge I believe from back east). He should move to so. cal. where you can get 'em for $45.

I have no idea what the value is - only that there can be an incredibly wide range of opinion even among those who know what to look for in koi.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast