Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: With winter coming who has changed their Koi's diet or stopped feeding?

With winter coming who has changed their Koi's diet or stopped feeding?

With winter coming who has changed their Koi's diet or stopped feeding? Has anyone switched there food already? I know some have been completely wait for a consistant amount of days that cold before switching over to their koi's winter diet, I mean too if they are fed at all.

another two days and I'm dropping out of the lower 60's and into the fifties.
    I switched feeds when out of the 70's & into the sixties and I will do likewise in the mid 50's. I will be primarily feeding sinking wheatgerm and cooked barley during this time . Was in low 20's outside this am, so is getting time to slow them down. Replaced the Reverse Osmosis filters today for 5 micron filter and charcoal.....don't care whether the fish are feeding heavy or not...water quality is always an issue 365 days of the year!

Well, Tony, the pond is down to 73F, so the koi know its getting to be winter. ... This is when I get serious about forcing their bodies to think it is winter. With it being dark when I get home, this is the time of year when the koi get one feeding in the morning on weekdays... two feedings per day on weekends. The morning feed now includes 50% sinking wheatgerm (Hikari). The weekend feedings are floating pellets. The higher protein pellets are now diluted 50% by mixing in a staple pellet. By Thanksgiving only sinking wheatgerm and a staple pellet will be fed. By then temps will be in the mid-60sF. Volume of food will be cut by maybe a third at each feeding. Christmas Day is the last day they are fed until February. During January the water will edge a bit below 60F on the coldest days. Of course, the koi consume a lot of algae during these 3 months of reduced food. I can't really say this regimen does them good, but it may. I can say it does them no harm.
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-31-2006 at 07:20 PM. Reason: clarification

Water temp is down in the 50's here in this northern California pond, and I've switched to Hikari Wheat Germ, feeding a few pellets to each fish 2-3 times a day. Everyone is getting slow and serene, even Blurt, my jet-propelled hi utsuri.

I'm wondering if I should bring my smallest inside for the winter before it gets much colder. Think my 5-7" babies will handle the below 50 degree temps well once winter sets in?

Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    Water temp is down in the 50's here in this northern California pond, and I've switched to Hikari Wheat Germ, feeding a few pellets to each fish 2-3 times a day. Everyone is getting slow and serene, even Blurt, my jet-propelled hi utsuri.

I'm wondering if I should bring my smallest inside for the winter before it gets much colder. Think my 5-7" babies will handle the below 50 degree temps well once winter sets in?

Marie
    Well if the babies have places to hide for the winter then I wouldnt worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Well if the babies have places to hide for the winter then I wouldnt worry about it.
    Hide?

Nope. No hidey places.

*worries*

How deep is the pond?

18' x 7' x 4' deep at its deepest point, 3.5' overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    18' x 7' x 4' deep at its deepest point, 3.5' overall.
    I wouldnt worry about it if it is that deep...I havent loss a smaller koi yet in winter...and my pond is half the depth of yours....

In New England..my water temp is around 50deg. So, I am feeding a lower protein food only once daily. It is getting closer to stop time soon. I am jealous of you guys...need florida and california weather...It's a loooong winter here in Connecticut!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast