Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Going to All Japan Show

11 20.75%
  • Buying trip in the spring

6 11.32%
  • Buying trip in the fall

34 64.15%
  • none of the above

2 3.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One chance to go to Japan poll

One chance to go to Japan poll

Ok, so lets say you had one chance to go Japan for a koi related trip. You could either choose going to the All Japan Show in January, going on a buying trip in spring or going on a buying trip in the fall. Which would you choose and for those of you that have gone to all 3 before please explain why? Thanks
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I would definitely go to the fall harvest and experience the Ikeage. And if you time it right, you get to see the Niigata Nogyosai. Also would like to visit the temple gardens at the same time, watch all the acer and ginkgo in splendid fall colors.

ps: why explain anything if you have gone on all three ocasions? Thats logic!! So if you have experienced all three, explain why you chose the one you did choose.

Question Only ONE

If it could only be one I would have to make the most of it... Fall harvest. The show would be an icredible experience, but to see the harvests, visit the breeders, look for a jewel in the mud ... That would be a trip.

Daihonmei
    As a first time trip, I recommend the All Japan show. You can begin to train your eye to what is available in Japan and also be among other hobbyists ( serious hobbyists and not so many water garden influences) and hopefully go through a real transformation in terms of perception. You can also tour the local dealers to see what the hobby is like for local Japanese hobbyists.
    It is really kinda crazy to go to Nagaoka this time of year although the dealers encourge it? The snow is ridiculous and the selection is limited or at least not as 'fresh' as after the harvest( the hard core will always find the selection great I guess?)- and often the key breeders are busy in Tokyo with the show. They will all be eager to see you a day or two after the show of cource but it always seems somehow hurried?
    Some hobbyists plan trips to places like Hiroshima after the show. That is fine but do realize that it is alot like when my German friends came over for 7 days to visit and tour and told me they would like to see NY city, Disney world and the Grand Canyon ( if I could arrange it?!). They were obvious clueless about the distances involved! Hiroshima is a great distance from Tokyo ( too long a train ride so a plane is the only practical way). You can monorail it to the airport but you will loose at least a day in travel.
    Many hobbyists feel that going to Japan and not buying a koi is a waste. Nothing could be further from the truth. The experience is everything. And each trip is unique- There is ALWAYS another koi to be bought! Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Regenmeneer View Post
    ps: why explain anything if you have gone on all three ocasions? Thats logic!! So if you have experienced all three, explain why you chose the one you did choose.
    Thats what I meant Reg.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I agree with going for a week in January to the All Japan Show in in Tokyo. January is not a tourist season and prices are better all around. The All Japan show has well over 1000 top quality koi all in one place and easy to view in show tanks. Set up a few appointments to visit breeders in Isawa after the show.

Take a few days to visit Kyoto and enjoy the only time it is not over run with tourists. Over 1,000 temples and shrines. You can get into the famous temples and best resturants quickly and easily. IMpossible without a long wait in season. Hotel rooms are 50-60% less than the peak spring and fall seasons.

Go to Isawa and shop for koi. Only a short train trip from Tokyo. Mild climate and lots of breeders to visit including Toshio Sakai. Maruyama, Sakuma, Hiroi, Yamamoto, and more. SOme will tell you all the good koi are sold in fall. Wrong!! Some of the fall deals fall through for one reason or another so some koi are back on the market. Also some orginally held back for another season of growing are offered for sale now. First oppertunity to select tosai as they are not sold in fall. Plenty of koi to buy in January with out fall crowds and pressures. Breeders are more relaxed and have more time for teaching and answering questions.

I have been all 3 times for koi. Fall is best. The koi look better, more selection overall, more excitement, the very reason for going for me is koi.... No Question the January time is great for the show, but the koi didnt look as good in the greenhouses after a couple months..Except in Isawa. They always seem to look great there. But I am biased. April was "ok", but not as exciting. Didnt find many good bigger koi than Nisai. I should say their skin didnt look as good to me. Fall by far.

Ray and JR have a point about sightseeing. I do a sightseeing side trip every time for culture and scenery. Mandatory, but you can do that anytime fall, winter or spring..
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

For me I would love to go in a group, especially if it is to have fun and chill and kick back. The All-Japan sounds like the place to be to have fun, no body is worried or fighting over fish in Niigata. The parties sound like "Oscar" night....Well you also got to ask yourself, where else in the world will I see the best of the best. Plus it will be interesting to see if Martin & Mark can repeat as GC with their Maruten Kohak...

for me personally, I would go in the spring with the idea of getting access to
    some nice tosai / nisei that are not going to make the cut for the mud ponds.

I agree that fall is fun to be a part of the drainage and the scenery is beautiful...It definetely has it's appeal

I also agree that probably the biggest wake up call in my koi hobby was my first all japan show to actually experience what was available. What an education!

no matter when you go or for what ever purpose, just to be able to experience the culture and people has it's value....

jim am curious why you ask, just interested in general or do you have a specific plan in mind for yourself?

Well first of all I cannot even think of going to Japan just one time. I am the type of person if I like it I will make it happen again and again. The first time I went I went during fall harvest I can say I was overwhelmed with education and the fine art of selection and pulling the trigger to spend some cash.

I think if I went to the All Japan that early I would not be able to appreciate it fully. I think being at the fall harvest I got to see first hand how it all works in koi mecca. I got to see some of the best and some standard koi. It was good to see a comparison of different koi in breeders ponds. So I would have to say fall harvest. If you are seasoned with all that info back then you would be able to appreciate the All Japan show a bit more. JMHO...

I also have been in the spring for tosai and hand selecting tosai is a rush for sure.

Just like Ray, Jim and BobW I have been to Japan on just sightseeing as well. I don't ever think you could fit everything in 1 trip. I always try to but it never works out.

By now you will see why I have been back many times as a hobbyists and tourist. I can't get enough out of 1 trip

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast