Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Water Gardens and Kodama Koi Farm Pair Up /Merged Thread

John,

I understand the path you have taken in trying to be all things to all people. A difficult road, and I wish you luck. I am, however, still confused about the press release. Since you are offering a variety of pond solutions based on customer desires, I'm having a difficult time getting my mind around the Kodama reference. Please... again I ask, which of these pond types has Mr. Kodama approved? All of them, some of them, one specifically?

Kind Regards,
    Bill

Nisai

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the comments everyone.

jnorth, we never charge for in-store consultations of any type. We do charge for "house-calls". Thanks for the link on Trickle Towers - I'll look into it right away. Sorry for mis-typing the word "Calcium" instead of "Potassium" - my brain froze for a moment.

MikeM, it is my style to put my head in the mouth of the lion. I am happy to be here and be able to talk openly with all of you. After all, where else can I go to get this kind of information and passion? You are correct about gravel, but the plain truth of the matter that some people simply want it - and if we don't service that customer the way they want - they'll go down the road to Joe-Blow Lawnmowing company that will put in an catalog kit pond for them. You and I both know that. So, if they insist on gravel, we want them to have them best chance at keeping their koi alive - that is what our Hydro Vortex Hybrid system is all about. This way - their koi have a fighting chance, and I don't lose a customer. The customer then doesn't get what everone here loves to call a "koi-killing-porta-pottie".

Thanks everyone - its after 7:00 p.m. and my wife is rolling her eyes at me now so I've gotta go. Have a good night.
    Sincerely,
    John Russell

My observations....

- Auntisue shouldn't have started the second thread and spread this stuff all over the place where it's hard to follow.

- John Russell is slick and has done a pretty darn good job of defending his stance. I still don't trust anyone who shows up at a koi event in Hawaii wearing a suit, but admire the courage.

- The entertainment factor of these threads is a nine-point-five-out-of-ten.

- Some who visit this board say that each full-size koi needs 1,000 gallons which is about four times the RWG recommendation. That said, I venture to guess that most of the people reading this have fish densities which are very close to the RWG formula.

- I agree with Jagger; it's a step up.

It takes roughly 50 square feet of biofilm to metabolize 1 gram of ammonia per day. Koi produce approximately 1/3 of their weight in waste every day.
    - These numbers are way off - like by an order of magnitude. However, they are wrong in the correct direction. In other words, they represent a conservative approach to filter design. I like the conservative approach, but object to the incorrect blanket statements. It's a matter of semantics, but the these statements should be prefaced with a phrase like "For design purposes, we assume that...."

-ste veh

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bekko View Post
    My observations....

- Auntisue shouldn't have started the second thread and spread this stuff all over the place where it's hard to follow.

- John Russell is slick and has done a pretty darn good job of defending his stance. I still don't trust anyone who shows up at a koi event in Hawaii wearing a suit, but admire the courage.

- The entertainment factor of these threads is a nine-point-five-out-of-ten.

- Some who visit this board say that each full-size koi needs 1,000 gallons which is about four times the RWG recommendation. That said, I venture to guess that most of the people reading this have fish densities which are very close to the RWG formula.

- I agree with Jagger; it's a step up.

- These numbers are way off - like by an order of magnitude. However, they are wrong in the correct direction. In other words, they represent a conservative approach to filter design. I like the conservative approach, but object to the incorrect blanket statements. It's a matter of semantics, but the these statements should be prefaced with a phrase like "For design purposes, we assume that...."

-ste veh
    Sorry for the second thread, but I didn't see the first one. My mistake!!! Maybe someone can combine the two????

The threads have been merged so when reading back through the thread it might not make much sense. This will be much easier to follow though from here on out.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by John Russell View Post

Whew! Where do I start - you're a bunch of Hyenas and I'm raw meat.
    OK John, this is a high degree of composure. I would suspect that you had hit the sweet spot of psychotropics, but I don't believe you would, being, you know, a suit guy and all. That leaves only the explanation that you see a path to a goal and cannot allow yourself to see anything that might deter your progress and accomplishment of that goal. Purity of purpose? Yeah, sure, OK. American nature at its raw primal best as Jagger has reminded us? I guess. I avoid you guys at all costs. There always ends up being some tromping of the innocent and good natured on the way to Trump Towers, or Wally World.

So, Mr Meat, why is it that koi ponds without gravel cost more than hybrid ponds with gravel? Were we correct when we understood you to say that the "outdoor aquarium" concept was a decorative approach to a healthy fish environment, providing all that koi would need PLUS the cute stuff? Adding gravel and plants, maybe a deep sea diver and a ship wreck, so that big boys could have a big aquarium should cost more. Weave us a tale.

Also you've asked us to kick around the bead filters and centrifugal pumps you market. What I do know is that bead filters themselves are a controversial topic and seem to be most loved by the least experienced. The concept usually used to promo them, (sales announcer voice) "you can dazzle your freinds by backflushing our Amazo Filter while wearing your business suit and shiny shoes!" is enough for me to know they likely deliver compromised performance. And yes, compromised is LESS. I have one tiny bead filter on a 60g aquarium holding two of Gunn's fish. Pita

Mr. Russell, please seek out a real pond with real filter chambers. You need to see the goal from our perspective, not just from the cash box.

Mickey the windowman

Quote Originally Posted by MysticKoi View Post
    John,

I understand the path you have taken in trying to be all things to all people. A difficult road, and I wish you luck. I am, however, still confused about the press release. Since you are offering a variety of pond solutions based on customer desires, I'm having a difficult time getting my mind around the Kodama reference. Please... again I ask, which of these pond types has Mr. Kodama approved? All of them, some of them, one specifically?

Kind Regards,
    Bill
    I would also like to hear the answer to Bill's question.

Now that's a good point Mickey.

Mr.Russell,I would recommend a look at the Nexus range from www.evolutionaqua.com/ if you want to see a real ground up koi filter design.It's not the only kind, but it is right up there with the best and commands quite a following already due to it's performance and ease of use.

I would also recommend a read of http://www.koicymru.co.uk/construct.htm for a perspective on hobbiest koipond design.A very informative site.

You wanted to learn.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    I would also like to hear the answer to Bill's question.
    I would like to hear as well. If Kodama is approving any of the systems you have listed, then this is definitely a money thing.

John, are you also a Koi hobbiest?

John,
    Are you a koi hobbiest yourself or just a bussiness man? If you are in fact a koi hobbiest I would love to see pictures of your home pond and koi. As you have already said you have no pictures of your koi ponds at your business, since you just moved to a new location. But a true hobbiest would have pics of there home pond and koi.
    It is one thing to have fish in a business enviroment pond. The pond factors change constantly with fish constantly being sold. New arrivals coming in from breeders. Constantly treating fish for parasites as they come into USA, and during your minimal 3 week QT. So in my opinion a pond at a store never really has the same needs as a home pond for a true koi hobbiest. Also curious were your expertise really are in koi health and enviroment. All your writings seem to me like a pre-writen data sheet that we could find on your website.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast