Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Water Gardens and Kodama Koi Farm Pair Up /Merged Thread

Russell Water Gardens and Kodama Koi Farm Pair Up /Merged Thread

edit by mod-This thread has been merged with another thread so as you read through it some of the posts might not make sense or seem out of place.

I noticed this link over on *******: http://www.ippca.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=949

Seems these two are pairing up in an attempt to dominate the industry. The chain store mentality strikes another industry.
    Mitch

"Greetings all,

Sorry I missed InfoTanza this year. I, along with members of my staff and team members were in Hawaii attending the Grand Opening of the Kodama Koi Farm and the Japan Nishikigoi Expo. (No beach or golfing time.....we worked the entire time!)

Writers for several industry magazines were there covering the event - and you'll be able to read about it in up coming issues.......but I'll "let the cat out of the bag" as to what really big news happened.

At the Expo it was publicly, and formally announced that Kodama Koi Farm and Russell Watergardens are entering a joint-venture partnership in the Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation that is being funded in part by Tsunami Partners - a Tokyo based venture capital firm.

The owner of Kodama Koi Farm is Mr. Mamoru Kodama - a world renowned Nishikigoi expert, highly respected author, Associate Editor of Koi USA Magazine, koi judge, and Director of the International Nishikigoi Promotion Center. (INPC). The Kodama Koi Farm is run by Mr. Mamoru's son Taro Kodama - who created Japan Koi Online.

The partnership of Russell Watergardens and Kodama Koi Farm into the Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation will expand to all 50 states starting in early 2007.

The Russell Watergardens / Kodama Koi Farm partnership is the world's first and only partnership of its kind - the joining of the water gardening and koi industries under one umbrella.

Mr. Mamoru Kodama personally approves and endorses each and every component manufactured by, and for, Russell Watergardens for the utmost in quality, workmanship, function, ease of maintenance, water quality, and Nishikigoi health and well being.

The Russell Watergardens / Kodama Koi Farm partnership is being referred as the industry's first "Hardware & Software" partnership - combining Russell Watergardens' filtration systems with Kodama Koi Farm's Nishikigoi.

The Russell Watergardens expansion program is scheduled for early 2007.

Sincerely,
    John Russell
    Russell Watergardens
    Last edited by Brian; 11-05-2008 at 04:51 AM.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    I noticed this link over on koiphen: http://www.ippca.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=949

Seems these two are pairing up in an attempt to dominate the industry. The chain store mentality strikes another industry.
    Mitch

"Greetings all,

Sorry I missed InfoTanza this year. I, along with members of my staff and team members were in Hawaii attending the Grand Opening of the Kodama Koi Farm and the Japan Nishikigoi Expo. (No beach or golfing time.....we worked the entire time!)

Writers for several industry magazines were there covering the event - and you'll be able to read about it in up coming issues.......but I'll "let the cat out of the bag" as to what really big news happened.

At the Expo it was publicly, and formally announced that Kodama Koi Farm and Russell Watergardens are entering a joint-venture partnership in the Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation that is being funded in part by Tsunami Partners - a Tokyo based venture capital firm.

The owner of Kodama Koi Farm is Mr. Mamoru Kodama - a world renowned Nishikigoi expert, highly respected author, Associate Editor of Koi USA Magazine, koi judge, and Director of the International Nishikigoi Promotion Center. (INPC). The Kodama Koi Farm is run by Mr. Mamoru's son Taro Kodama - who created Japan Koi Online.

The partnership of Russell Watergardens and Kodama Koi Farm into the Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation will expand to all 50 states starting in early 2007.

The Russell Watergardens / Kodama Koi Farm partnership is the world's first and only partnership of its kind - the joining of the water gardening and koi industries under one umbrella.

Mr. Mamoru Kodama personally approves and endorses each and every component manufactured by, and for, Russell Watergardens for the utmost in quality, workmanship, function, ease of maintenance, water quality, and Nishikigoi health and well being.

The Russell Watergardens / Kodama Koi Farm partnership is being referred as the industry's first "Hardware & Software" partnership - combining Russell Watergardens' filtration systems with Kodama Koi Farm's Nishikigoi.

The Russell Watergardens expansion program is scheduled for early 2007.

Sincerely,
    John Russell
    Russell Watergardens
    I, Personally think that this is not a good idea. Not because of a fear of lost business, but because when you introduce Koi into watergardens you tend to have more problems and it discourages people from continuing in the hobby. The watergarden industry does not know how to properly educate people on keeping Koi.

What do you think?

Russ
    Last edited by Brian; 11-05-2008 at 04:50 AM.

I have 3 koi from jko. I have always found them to be honest. Always easy to deal with..and very professional. More luck to them...many should follow their business practices.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    I have 3 koi from jko. I have always found them to be honest. Always easy to deal with..and very professional. More luck to them...many should follow their business practices.
    I am not saying that JKO is dishonest, I am saying that introducing Koi to the watergarden industry without education is a mistake. Please don't get me wrong. I support any good business in Koi because it will make the Koi industry grow. My beef is with the watergarden industry. Remember Aquascapes is part of the watergaden industry.
    Last edited by Russell Peters; 12-03-2006 at 02:47 AM.

Well, if they compete with the rock-bottom folks and promote a rock-free pond, I'll be very happy. Lots of water gardens out there with some koi. Too many being built with rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    I, Personally think that this is not a good idea. Not because of a fear of lost business, but because when you introduce Koi into watergardens you tend to have more problems and it discourages people from continuing in the hobby. The watergarden industry does not know how to properly educate people on keeping Koi.

What do you think?

Russ
    We can only hope that Kodama will insist on playing a major role in educating the Russell WG people on Koi keeping vs. Water Gardening. If not, it could wind up ruining their reputation.

In the world of koi there seems to be two interests. Watergardeners and koi folks. There is a place for both . It may be this new corp will be a middle ground that will help either side transistion according to their desire.

I think it will be important for clubs to educate the watergardeners that there is more to koi then just swimming in the backyard with the lilly pads .
    I think shows and education seminars will be the key. Maybe Kodama's association with AKCA will make the stores ready to provide lists of clubs in their area. ZNA clubs need to seek the same courtesy.

The american public wants things turn key in their life and maybe this new Corp will provide that. A way to get into the hobby without the dreadful learning curve of killing fish and eventually finding a club. Maybe we can spare newbees all the grief, those looking for a challenge will drift to the clubs.

As always time will tell as to how sucessful this new enterprise will be. Life is change and how we adjust to it. What's good for the public awareness is good for the hobby and good for koi. I'm for that!

I think this will end up like other franchise businesses. Some will have more passionate, knowledgable owners than others. I would think that if the franchisee only buy koi that go through Kodama's quarantine facility in Hawaii they should be able to eliminate a lot of the common disease problems as an issue. I think this also will give the Japanese breeders a ready outlet for many of their culls. It might well pay someone to buy into this franchise as a good way to get into the industry. All and all I think it is just fine and as someone viewing this as potential new competition all I can say is come on in the waters fine.
    Mitch

Interesting... To be honest, I'm confused by all of this. In what parallel universe could the good folk at Kodama endorse a system that does not include a bottom drain at the very least, let alone a proper koi filtration system?

point well taken! Quess we'll just have to see what Kodama brings to the table.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast