Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting Best Tategoi Showa...

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by gofish View Post
    Rick,
    What we've always been told is to look for all three colors on the tail as well. Tail stop might not be the right term for showa, but what I mean is that when you look at fish B, the tail seems weak in terms of coloring. Fish D has a lot more possiblity in terms of having all three colors right there at the tail joint. The possibility is there too that if sumi is there underlying it might cover up all the Hi. The sumi will come, but what hi is there is all you are going to get. While we want the white at the base of the tail in the kohaku, you need hi at the base of the tail on a showa to be balanced with sumi and white. Now we are still learning too and could be way off.

Marc
    Thanks for the nice explaination Marc. We are all learning together. I find that I do better if I ask the dumb questions that some presume that I know. As I often say, I don't know what I don't know. This hobby is full of things to learn and I am just trying to move forward in the game. Thanks for your help.

Rick

D is the koi worthy of retaining and getting out in the mud pond. I say that because from what you can tell from a photo it has the best potential for body and pattern....

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    D is the koi worthy of retaining and getting out in the mud pond. I say that because from what you can tell from a photo it has the best potential for body and pattern....
    Dick, your not going to get off that easily. Can you please say what specifically you like about D and what specifically on the others that you found lacking. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Aquitori, I wish to thank you for these types of threads. I see that you post interesting threads often. By interesting I mean threads that I can learn from; appreciate the content.

Rick

I think if all the koi were of the same high quality, and you can't really tell from a photo, so we'll have to assume that as a given and press on from what we can judge. D has a nice size head and an indication of being a nice sized koi so body shape has good potential. Then last and certainly least with bigger fish being groomed for a run at GC, is the pattern. Nice spaced beni patches, good black in pecs, and the face beni opens up naturally in the middle to almost invite the black as it comes up to provide an attractive menware ( split the face ). When everything else is equal in quality and size, it's the pattern that makes the impression. This koi needs the black to begin to make it's appearance and I think you have a pretty nice
    challenger....

I have a tough time choosing between B and D. I have two concerns with D: (1) the photo makes left pec seem unbalanced with the right one; and (2) I would like to see a hint of Sumi toward the rear of the fish. With B I like the distribution of Sumi over the body, but I'd like to see Sumi on the face; and I'd prefer less Hi on the face. Both have a nice shape now. Since Dick is getting D, I'll get B... and we'll see what happens.

Koi D's best challenger is B, lots of good positive things going for it.MY tastes always run toward a tategoi with lots yet to happen to it, hence my fascination with "D". But "B" has a good body and acceptable pattern and easy to make a decsion on. Koi "A" is a little too "flowery" with smaller beni patches. Even if the black comes in well I don';t believe it will have a bold/strong pattern to challenge anything better equipped.If all 4 koi are equal in quality, I care least of all for the pattern of "C". Because showa is the latest challenger for the GC award, it really needs to have something special going on with it to challenge an equally fine sanke or kohaku. Word on the tokyo streets is that this year at the all japan show a stealth showa will challenge and take the GC. We'll then be able to get a good look at what is considered the poster girl for that color variety....

Sansai
    Thanks for the words of wisdom Dick, always appreciate your insight.

Rick

I'd put b in my pond and grow d in the mud.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Well it looks as If Im making some progress in picking some good showa

Quote Originally Posted by koifishgirl View Post
    Well it looks as If Im making some progress in picking some good showa
    Me too! Maybe in a few more months I won't have to include "novice" disclaimers in my posts!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast