Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the sanke I was asking about- Please give opinions?!?!

That is a deep red on that koi, so what about a lighter koi of different color? I was under the understanding that if a koi outside rim of the scales was darker than the inside that the koi was growing very fast and when the koi slowed down the inside of the scales would deepen in color. Im I wrong?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by koifishgirl View Post
    That is a deep red on that koi, so what about a lighter koi of different color? I was under the understanding that if a koi outside rim of the scales was darker than the inside that the koi was growing very fast and when the koi slowed down the inside of the scales would deepen in color. Im I wrong?
    When a Koi grows and stretches the outside of the scale is lighter and the inside of the scale is darker.

There is a post that will be coming soon that will show more examples.

K F G . . .

what Russell is describing is called hoshi. For further, you might want to check Dick Benbow's posts #24 & #26 on this thread as they're excellent:

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/showth...oshi#post46840

Comparison of Beni

Thanks to Russell having sent me the original file, I was able to enlarge the picture of his Sakai Kohaku to show the details of the scales and the quality of the beni. Just an outstanding koi. When we talk of depth of beni, or layers, keep this photo in mind. You can see that this fish was injured. There is a shallow scratch across the epidermal layer. In poor quality beni this would have been evident immediately as the hi would have been scratched off. In this photo you can witness the depth of the beni. It is not only at the surface of the fish, but layered. Hoshi beni is also evident here. A very deep patch of hi at the base of the scale showing continued development. Thanks Russell!!! The second photo shows a different style of beni entirely. Look at the leading edge of the beni how it fades under the leading scale as I bend the fish. The beni is still developing on this fish but you can clearly see how shallow it is. It has no depth. This fish came from a very prolific Kohaku female that I played with for a couple of years. It was a good learning experience but I'm back to my Dainichi roots. The third picture is a closeup of a fish I culled this fall. This is from my next generation brood stock. Three year old girls. You can see how even at 12 weeks of age it has the same elements as the Sakai Kohaku. This I believe is traced to the Dainichi bloodline.

Honmei
    The Sakai Kohaku was actually out of the water being "repaired" by Toshio Sakai when I took the picture. It had been stuck under the scales with some wood or bark from a branch that must have fallen into the mud pond. It is probably what caused the scratch as well. Thank you for posting the information Richard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    The Sakai Kohaku was actually out of the water being "repaired" by Toshio Sakai when I took the picture. It had been stuck under the scales with some wood or bark from a branch that must have fallen into the mud pond. It is probably what caused the scratch as well. Thank you for posting the information Richard.
    the scratch cant even be seen. where is it?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by lildude View Post
    the scratch cant even be seen. where is it?
    It is about the middle of the Hi and to the left. You can not see much as it has almost filled in.

The scratch is in no way a fault on the fish, and I hope no one got that impression. In the picture it is already well on it's way to being fully healed. It just illustrates the truly superior nature of this fish.

I must admit, I am surprised at the lack of interest in this comparison. If anyone has good detail shots of scales on koi I sure would appreciate seeing it.

Jumbo
    Ahh, and there's the problem. Can't get the shots.

I was moving a couple fish yesterday and set up to take pics of them. The pics were so disappointing I quit after just a couple fish.

A couple crappy pics follow. Good pics will have to come from someone else.

Mickey the windowman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This is the sanke I was asking about- Please give opinions?!?!-qual-move-blue-040.jpg   This is the sanke I was asking about- Please give opinions?!?!-qual-move-blue-047.jpg  

Richard, I've been studying that second one, rather than commenting. The Hi on it does look thin now, but Hoshi is obvious. It does not have the look of Hi that is going to fade away. Not knowing the characteristics of the cross involved, not seeing the oyagoi, not having siblings to compare, not having mature siblings to look at ..... well, I'm left wondering whether this Hi will remain thin or is it the sort that will thicken with time and slower growth? You have the knowledge and have told us the answer. But, would I have come to the same conclusion if I'd not read your post first? I don't know. If the body was really good and the pattern appealed, would I be tempted to give it a try?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast