Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: This is the sanke I was asking about- Please give opinions?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rombold View Post
    Hi Russ,

Don't you mean a crisp sashi is a sign of weakness? The trailing edge of kiwa should alwyas be sharp. Otherwise, that also would be a sign of weakness.
    Richard maybe Toshio Sakai must be on to something....It would be a good question to ask him...I did research today and found from the 20 knowledgable people I asked today they dont believe in the blurred kiwa as a sign of stable hi.

Guys

Maybe it only has to do with the Matsunosuke bloodline. But, I can vouch for what Russ is saying - I was there when Sakai said it and then showed us what he meant on a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old. He didn't think would come out as good as it did. He said the kiwa was rather poor on this fish at 2 yrs old. But, you ought to see it now! Don't ask 'cuz we can't afford it anymore!LOL

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Guys

Maybe it only has to do with the Matsunosuke bloodline. But, I can vouch for what Russ is saying - I was there when Sakai said it and then showed us what he meant on a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old. He didn't think would come out as good as it did. He said the kiwa was rather poor on this fish at 2 yrs old. But, you ought to see it now! Don't ask 'cuz we can't afford it anymore!LOL

Mike
    I am curious to this idea, because alot of breeders out there are using the Matsunosuke line for Sanke. I am sure Nancy will ask Marudo and Ogata to this idea. But, I will ask that question to Toshio.

Thick Skin?

Aquitori,

If this is an accurate interpretation of what Toshio said, then I have a theory for it. He's breeding for an exceptionally thick skinned fish. That's my best explanation of how you can have a blurred kiwa and still have that be a sign of future quality. It probably would be specific to a few of his pairings and it would be a mistake to apply this as a general rule in viewing most other koi.

Richard

Very insightful response. The interpretation was given by his daughter miwa, however I heard him say the word "kiwa" in his discussion several times. As I said, maybe it has to do with his line only - maybe only his newer magoi line!?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rombold View Post
    Aquitori,

If this is an accurate interpretation of what Toshio said, then I have a theory for it. He's breeding for an exceptionally thick skinned fish. That's my best explanation of how you can have a blurred kiwa and still have that be a sign of future quality. It probably would be specific to a few of his pairings and it would be a mistake to apply this as a general rule in viewing most other koi.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Richard

Very insightful response. The interpretation was given by his daughter miwa, however I heard him say the word "kiwa" in his discussion several times. As I said, maybe it has to do with his line only - maybe only his newer magoi line!?

Mike
    Yes, this is ONLY applied to his Koi. Not only was told this by Sakai through Miwa, but it was also explained to me through Agnes. Toshio was very specific. Each time he described it, he spoke of the kiwa sharpening from the bottom up and then would smile with a big grin as if he was discovering something for the first time. He also explaned that it is the same with his sumi. February 24th nd 25th will be a great opportunity for this and much more information that can be learned.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Richard maybe Toshio Sakai must be on to something....It would be a good question to ask him...I did research today and found from the 20 knowledgable people I asked today they dont believe in the blurred kiwa as a sign of stable hi.
    Toshio Sakai is an innovator and does tend to stand alone. He is constantly striving for new ideas, and this is a good example.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456