Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the sanke I was asking about- Please give opinions?!?!

This is the sanke I was asking about- Please give opinions?!?!

So, this is the sanke I asked about the other day. She is in the 22-24inch range. The seller is asking $350. He acquired her for free...along with the others in the pictures. A pond owner was moving and gave them to my local dealer. Anyway..She is big and full. Nice shiroji...very porcelain-like. The hi on the head is very good and deep. Will the hi on the body ever catch up? I like the pattern...seems nicely balanced. Please let me know what you guys think. I don't want to let a good thing get away...but I also don't want to convince myself she is better than she is going to be. As usual.....thanks for the help..it's truly appreciated!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    So, this is the sanke I asked about the other day. She is in the 22-24inch range. The seller is asking $350. He acquired her for free...along with the others in the pictures. A pond owner was moving and gave them to my local dealer. Anyway..She is big and full. Nice shiroji...very porcelain-like. The hi on the head is very good and deep. Will the hi on the body ever catch up? I like the pattern...seems nicely balanced. Please let me know what you guys think. I don't want to let a good thing get away...but I also don't want to convince myself she is better than she is going to be. As usual.....thanks for the help..it's truly appreciated!!!
    I dont think it is worth it. The beni looks very weak. It looks like it is starting to degrade, but that is what I think. I would'nt pay 350 dollars for it. It doesnt have a good kohaku pattern on it either. the sumi is barely even there.
    You can find yourself much better koi for 350 dollars.

man, you are talking about colors and pattern on that sanke.....

How do you like the body conformation? Think about the body first.
    Just bypass it buddy ;-))

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
    man, you are talking about colors and pattern on that sanke.....

How do you like the body conformation? Think about the body first.
    Just bypass it buddy ;-))
    your sanke on your profile picture on the other hand....

could just be the water condition the koi are in. But for me I wouldn't give that much for her. weak sumi and hi not worth it, you may never improve the koi Also the pattern is not that great but like I alway say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one likes someone else may not. So its your choice, if she pleases you and you like her dont worry about what other think of her

The conformation is definitely not the issue. The pictures are from a side angle...so you cant really tell. The conformation was big and thick to see in person. But, I am leaning against the purchase now...thanks for the opinions.

I have no idea what any fish is worth. I can't price my own so I'm not going to try here, but I don't think any of the knocks on this fish are entirely valid. This is a female sanke probably three to four years old. It's similar to a bloodline I used to breed. I don't care for the orange-red hi but its persistent and will hold. The stress in the pattern is probably a result of stretching in the Spring when She was in spawning condition. The Sumi is usually the problem with these Sanke. It comes on strong early and then breaks into unattractive disorganized patterns. Not a good look. The sumi here is deep and developing. A good point. The body conformation is warped. It's a young female. It's going to look that way until it's older unless special care is taken. Not a bad fish. Nice head and odome stop. Pattern is skewed, but oh well we aren't talking show fish here. Nice Shiroji. The Hi is what I dislike the most. On the West Coast it might be over priced. On the East Coast maybe not. It doesn't look as if it has been well cared for.

Well, if she was on a well-known auction site I expect she would have a suggested value of $1,000 and might well go for $350. Value in koi is inherently a personal opinion. I'm concerned about the edges of the Hi plate. I share Richard's thought that she does not appear to have been well cared for. With a year or two of high quality water and food, I think she would improve, but not a prize winner.

Just a little something I need some help with. When you look at a koi's scales and the outside edges of the beni is darker than the inside what does this tell you?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by koifishgirl View Post
    Just a little something I need some help with. When you look at a koi's scales and the outside edges of the beni is darker than the inside what does this tell you?
    It tells you that the Hi is thin and unstable. When a Koi is growing and the scales stretch you should see a darker center to the scale. This shows that the color is still developing and the next season it will fill in.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast