Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold koi

I run my bakki all year round ( it's inside and on a heater ) to compensate for the extra expense of heating, I unplug one of three air pumps, as cooler temps hold air saturation better than in summer.

Dayleen; I had never met anyone with your name before until this past summer when a lady I met from Iowa was also named the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Some people's koi have it better than others.
    Suteki da ne!!!!

Tosai

Really?

Dick, I had never heard of the name Dayleen other than my own until watching extra footage on the Fast and the furious DVD. Her name was spelled slightly different, Daylene but pronounced the same. It's definitely not common...which i like now but hated as a kid. People could never seem to say it properly (Day-Lean). So, this lady with my name...what was she like...A good looking blond i hope...LOL

She's a rep for a safety company, and the nicest person. Isn't it funny how when we meet someone with a name our mind already has been influenced as to whether we'll like that person or not by what we associate to people we have already known ( and judged) prior....

Tosai
    Very true!!

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    A Bakki Shower will have a greater cooling effect due to the design exposing more surface area. I am leaving mine unwrapped so far this winter to get cooler temperatures. Down to 63F this morning, which is just 4 degrees above the coolest temperature I got last year. I am hoping to be able to get down to 55F at some point over the winter, preferably in January when I fast them.
    I set up my own Lithaqua type "Bakki" showers this year and was concerned about temperature loss. All my systems are staying around 48 degrees, with or without the shower. They are only open at the top. Could this make a difference on whether or not they cool down?

The surface area exposure to the air is the key factor. This will be affected by the volume of water going through, the rate (speed/pressure) of the water flow, the length(time)of the drop, the openness of the design, etc. When I wrapped my Bakki in poly last year, it was noticeably warmer under the poly even though it was loose and allowed some air exchange. Having a shower that is only open at the top would be similar.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The surface area exposure to the air is the key factor. This will be affected by the volume of water going through, the rate (speed/pressure) of the water flow, the length(time)of the drop, the openness of the design, etc. When I wrapped my Bakki in poly last year, it was noticeably warmer under the poly even though it was loose and allowed some air exchange. Having a shower that is only open at the top would be similar.

Thank you for the information Mike. I was really worried when I set up these new systems that it would be a problem. This next year I will begin to redo my other systems the same way.

After reading this thread I think all would need to do is put a tarp over my waterfall and run it normally. (Should be easy to do with my design.) Our three-day winter appears to be over. Temps are going up into the 60s for the next 6-7 days at least. It was/is short sleeve shirt weather yesterday and today. Like they say around here, it you don't like the weather stick around for a little while.
    Mitch

Mitch, that is a stunning waterfall! It must look fabulous in the spring and summer with all the greenery around it.although right now it is still beautiful.

Dayleen.hey neighbour! I am on Vancouver Island........and I am assuming you are a koi breeder? I would love to know more about your biz if I may. There are not alot of choices in choosing good grade koi anywhere here, except for WestCoast Koi(which I still have not gone to see).

If you could please pm me I would love ot hear more! Thanks.

Mitch, my fish two years ago........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12