Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever seen anything like this?

Quote Originally Posted by lypope View Post
    OOOOKKKK! Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...Nancy, have you had Dr. Z take a look at it? I know she's taken several koi health courses; maybe she can help you out? I sure hope it's nothing more than an abcess; what a gorgeous koi!
    Just what I was going to ask Nancy has some stunning koi.hate to see anything mar their health.

Do you have a vet friend? Medical sonography (ultrasound) images will show muscles, tendons, internal organs and any pathological lesions. Good luck!

I posted this thread as a learning tool for all of us. Our fish is happy and healthy now. I will take a picture of her, tomorrow morning and post it. I was going to post this last month, but thought I would wait till we knew what the outcome of her condition would be.

We were very concerned about this fish, so we had Joe Co, Chai T. and Ken (Eastern Nishikigoi) all look at here. We all felt that it need to be drained but how? Well Joe Co thought we should cut the area to allow drainage, but we would be taking the chance of scaring this fish and also chance of more infection. We did not want to scar her unless we absolutly had to. She was eating and swimming normally. So I took these pictures and sent them to Ogata, since she was his fish originally and he is a breeder I figured he has seen more than any of us in fish health issues. Ogata emailed me back, and said that we should insert a needle into the area, and see if we could drain fluid. Well I was elected to be the one to try to drain it. So I put her to sleep and inserted the biggest needle I have which is about 3" long. when I inserted the needle you could feel soft area's and also a hard areas. I pulled back on the plunger and yellow fluid came out. I did this twice and gave her an enjection (silver bullet). We watched her for 1 week, and it seemed to have improved about 40%. So I did it again, this time when I did it after needle was removed fluid still kept coming out. Well after 6 weeks, she has recovered 100%, she actually looks better now than when we bought her last year. Conclusion it was an abcess.

That's great, Nancy! You are so fortunate to have all of those experienced hands to help you out. And kudos for having the steady hand and courage to do what needed to be done!

Great thread Nancy! Thanks. I'm glad it all worked out in the end.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Phew! I am glad the outcome was a positive one Nancy! Visuals are the best learning tool for me.......

Nisai
    Nancy, i just start to read this thread. that is great news, i am happy for you and it is good looking showa.

Glad it was just an abcess, Nancy. Good job on taking care of her, she's a real beauty!

Marie

Thanks Nancy.. That is good learning experience. I only wish I was there to see this procedure in person....

Joe

I'm a foot doctor...so I pretty much drain abscesses every working day. The only thing I would have done differently is a few days of injectible antibiotics first. The mouth of any animal is a pretty bacteria filled area...I would want a little prophylaxis first to be safe. Don't want to drain the abscess..only to have the fish go septic on you. Well..just something to think about, alls well that ends well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast