Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Have you ever seen anything like this?

So, lildude was correct in his assessment. A pimple is basically the same thing as an abscess or boil.

-steveh opkin s

Thanks Nancy

Threads like this one are a good education and diagnostic tool we can all benefit from. I sure am glad it all worked out well as she is a beautiful Koi. (funny how all of your Koi seem to fit that description )
    When I first began reading I didn't know if it would wind up being an abcess, fatty tumor, or cyst, as any of the three would have made sense.
    As Brutuscz mentioned, I probably would have considered an antibiotic pre-teatment as well based on past experience with humans and animals, but happily it all worked out anyway.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by bekko View Post
    So, lildude was correct in his assessment. A pimple is basically the same thing as an abscess or boil.

-steveh opkin s
    I disagree.a pimple can take care of itself.

I was sent this by Jim North. He sent a copy of the thread to his good friend REC. I am no doctor or scientist, but REC's conclusion to our Showa's infection seem to be right on mark.

Rec wrote:
    this was not an absess. It was a sporozoan infection. The fluid that was drained was the key. It was yellow and easily drained with a syringe. Absesses are much more difficult to cure and because we are dealing with a tissue-destroying organism with an absess, some signs of tissue damage would have been evident. With a sporozoan infection, all we get is a exudate fluid build up trying to expel the vector. Sporozoan infections are more common than we give them credit for. But having said all of that, draining the wound and supporting the fish against infection was the right course of action.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bekko View Post

-steveh opkin s
    Huh? I was?

Everyone I have chilled out, I intend to learn from my mistakes. Hopefully you can all see a better me. I have apologized to gail for my bad behavior. Now I am apologizing to everyone for my bad behavior. Thank your for spanking me when I am bad everyone. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by lildude View Post
    Huh? I was?
    Lildude, you were not even close.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    I posted this thread as a learning tool for all of us. Our fish is happy and healthy now. I will take a picture of her, tomorrow morning and post it. I was going to post this last month, but thought I would wait till we knew what the outcome of her condition would be.

We were very concerned about this fish, so we had Joe Co, Chai T. and Ken (Eastern Nishikigoi) all look at here. We all felt that it need to be drained but how? Well Joe Co thought we should cut the area to allow drainage, but we would be taking the chance of scaring this fish and also chance of more infection. We did not want to scar her unless we absolutly had to. She was eating and swimming normally. So I took these pictures and sent them to Ogata, since she was his fish originally and he is a breeder I figured he has seen more than any of us in fish health issues. Ogata emailed me back, and said that we should insert a needle into the area, and see if we could drain fluid. Well I was elected to be the one to try to drain it. So I put her to sleep and inserted the biggest needle I have which is about 3" long. when I inserted the needle you could feel soft area's and also a hard areas. I pulled back on the plunger and yellow fluid came out. I did this twice and gave her an enjection (silver bullet). We watched her for 1 week, and it seemed to have improved about 40%. So I did it again, this time when I did it after needle was removed fluid still kept coming out. Well after 6 weeks, she has recovered 100%, she actually looks better now than when we bought her last year. Conclusion it was an abcess.
    Yes, our prayers were answered! I am very happy you could cure your fish.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234