Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Mike Pheffer,...

Jumbo

For Mike Pheffer,...

“I would also ask him if he produces any gosanke that develop fast enough, say by year 5, so that they could be entered in to shows? Brady speaks frequently about his fish developing very late in life, many times that is beyond the show life of a koi.

Hi Mike,

Yes, definitely,... I do produce “some” Koi that develop more quickly,... BUT, also, this can be controlled by environment and diet, in addition to genetics. We have a lot of control over when our Koi “finish”.

Just in the last few months, Koi from my farm have been awarded “Baby Grand Champion”,... “Best In Size 1”,... “Best In Size 2”,... “Best In Size 3”,... “Best In Size 4”,... “Best In Size 5”,... “Best In Variety”,... “Young Champion Dealer Division”,... That's a pretty wide spread of awards.

I HAVE chosen my parent stock specifically to produce Koi that finish or mature more slowly,... BUT obviously not all of the Koi produced from them do finish slowly,... but by starting out with that goal in mind I am able to produce more Koi that do finish slowly. That to me is where real value is in a Koi. The length of the “journey” is Koi value. The owner has the opportunity to enjoy the blossoming of their Koi over a longer length of time. Unfortunately MOST of the higher-end Koi I sell aren’t ever shown. They go to collectors who like to enjoy them privately, SO to them a slower developing Koi is a better value. They aren't interested in rushing their Koi to a show, so longevity of coloration, and anticipation is more valuable to them.

Also,... by working with parent fish that peoduce Koi that develop more slowly I get more Koi that meet MY goals as a breeder. I do get some that finish more quickly, just by default, BUT if I were using parent stock that produced babys that finish quickly I would be getting really no “slow bloomers”. That’s not what I want. Real Koi Value is in the journey. I just read an article about an American breeder in the midwest that commented that his soil produced good colors early. He stated that the Showas from the Japanese breeder of his parent fish had “black” that didn’t emerge until the Koi was 6 years old, but at this American breeder’s farm the showa babys (from the same line) had black that was “really black” as tosai. Trust me, that’s not what you want in a high quality Koi. To finish early is,... well,... finishing early,... and there’s no where to go from there but down.

This Kohaku was born on my farm in 2004,... so it will be 3 years old in May. If we look it over we can see it is capable of doing very well in US shows right now. If we look closely at the beni we can see that it also has several years of development ahead. That to me is quality and value, and good money spent. It will do well now, and will do very well later over the next several years.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Good to see you post again Brady. Great looking kohaku .
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sansai
    And that Kohaku is beautiful as well. Size ?

Also Brady one of the breeders I met in Japan in Oct stated that the faster developing koi tend to live shorter lives where as koi that take five to ten years to develop will usually live much longer. Not a big deal for someone who only wants to show ( a completely valid view in my opinion ) but for those of us who don't show the idea of my $1000 koi dying before my grandaughter grows up is not a plesent option.

BTW , this particular breeder has sensai typically in the 18" to 22" range.

Nice Job!

That is a beautiful Kohaku Brady. Very nice qualities and it shows the potential to raise fish on par with the best in Japan does exist. It's a matter of time, and it looks like you have a leg up on doing so. Breeding for 5 to 10 years down the road cuts against the grain, but it's that commitment and mentality that leads to quality. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rombold View Post
    That is a beautiful Kohaku Brady. Very nice qualities and it shows the potential to raise fish on par with the best in Japan does exist. It's a matter of time, and it looks like you have a leg up on doing so. Breeding for 5 to 10 years down the road cuts against the grain, but it's that commitment and mentality that leads to quality. Nice work!
    It sounds like you two have a lot in common Breeding for the long haul might take longer, but the end results are head and shoulders above the "Jack Rabbit Pattern" quick buck breeders. That is part of the reason I've been so impressed with your 13-16" males. Still improving as Nissai which bodes even better for the girls 3-4 years down the road

Brady . . .

very impressive! Thanks for sharing that photo.

Could you share which breeder(s) this koi's parent set came from? Best,

Sansai
    Thanks Brady for the insight. I love it when breeders post pictures of their fish along with explainations of goals and history. It is an insight that many hobbyiest just don't have access to. The breeder's insights are very valuable on this board and should be incouraged. Thanks again Brady.

Rick

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post
    very impressive! Thanks for sharing that photo.

Could you share which breeder(s) this koi's parent set came from? Best,

Hi KoiCop,

The female parent is one of my American born parent Koi - (a cross of Yagozen type & Sensuke type), and the male parent is a Japanese fish from Igarashi (Dainichi & Sensuke).

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Brady . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Brandwood View Post
    Hi KoiCop,

The female parent is one of my American born parent Koi - (a cross of Yagozen type & Sensuke type), and the male parent is a Japanese fish from Igarashi (Dainichi & Sensuke).

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood
    Impressive in that you're using your own stock as oyagoi. Very impressive.

Thanks Brady. Mike Pfeffer here.

This discussion centers around the difference between a koi that finishes early and one that finishes late. After just getting back from Nisei Koi Farm, I think what Mat talks about jives more with my experience even though we both may be saying the same thing. What I have tried to grasp over the last 5-8 years is skin quality. Novice hobbyist may see a deep red on a kohaku and believe they are looking "quality" beni. But as Mat pointed out, quality beni may appear on persimmon red or on a darker red. Brady, what you have described as a koi that finishes early may simply be what another breeder describes as poor quality hi. More on this. Got to run. Very interesting subject to me. Thanks again Brady.
    Mike Pfeffer
    Northern Midwest ZNA show
    June 19 - 20, 2010
    Season's Garden Nursery
    Fishers, IN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast