Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Quality" Roundtable...open discussion to all

Don has a good point

Many times it seems "unfinished" and "tategoi" are used interchangeably, but they really aren't. To my way of thinking Tategoi is a term rightly applied to a fish that will improve by finishing as it changes (a ragged pattern that consolodates, a thin body that fills out, etc...). A "non-tategoi" can be just as beautiful, but the final result is already visible (good body, stable pattern) but in its unfiished form. An unfinished fish is much easier to pick out of the crowd than a tategoi to me.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Many times it seems "unfinished" and "tategoi" are used interchangeably, but they really aren't. To my way of thinking Tategoi is a term rightly applied to a fish that will improve by finishing as it changes (a ragged pattern that consolodates, a thin body that fills out, etc...). A "non-tategoi" can be just as beautiful, but the final result is already visible (good body, stable pattern) but in its unfiished form. An unfinished fish is much easier to pick out of the crowd than a tategoi to me.

This is more in line with what it really is. The term Tategoi is abused as a sales pitch and I think most people don't really understand the concept because of this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    This is more in line with what it really is. The term Tategoi is abused as a sales pitch and I think most people don't really understand the concept because of this.
    The real term is a tateshita right? or something close to it?
    Russell, if I may ask. I noticed you had a tateshita tank, does this mean that all the koi in there will improve in one way or another?

I think in general, the hobbyist has to understand and study what his/her pond is capable of. It is I who deems a fish tategoi or tateshita, because it is my pond the fish will go in. When the fish is in the hands of the person who will raise it, the koi can now be named tategoi.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by lildude View Post
    The real term is a tateshita right? or something close to it?
    Russell, if I may ask. I noticed you had a tateshita tank, does this mean that all the koi in there will improve in one way or another?
    I don't have a Tateshita tank. Tateshita is the term that is used for a tategoi once it is sold by a breeder.

Banned
    I don't have a Tateshita tank. Tateshita is the term that is used for a tategoi once it is sold by a breeder.
    Oh, so really you actually do have a tategoi tank.
    well.....since a breeders koi has been sold to a dealer, does that mean the koi will do no more good to the breeder?
    Kind of confusing.
    Last edited by lildude; 12-20-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by lildude View Post
    Oh, so really you actually do have a tategoi tank. So since a breeders koi has been sold to a dealer, does that mean the koi will do no more good to the breeder?
    I DO NOT have a Tategoi tank either. Where are you getting your misinformation? Please stop.

Banned
    I DO NOT have a Tategoi tank either. Where are you getting your misinformation? Please stop.
    Ops, Sorry.
    I just remember seeing some koi in a tank that...well obviously i have gone cross eyed. nevermind.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123