Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: renewed perspective?

renewed perspective?

If there was a word or phrase or topic in 2006 that renewed your perspective of koi in 2006, what would it be, and what did it mean to you?
    BB

Sanctimonious Ass - BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley View Post
    If there was a word or phrase or topic in 2006 that renewed your perspective of koi in 2006, what would it be, and what did it mean to you?
    BB
    Organization. Whether it is for the purpose of maintaining optimum pond water quality or growing the hobby organization is key.

Continuing Education....

No matter how old/young you are, the koi hobby has more facets than a diamond....as you learn you realize there is always more to learn. I think it's so helpful to have our chat lines from different countries and methods of doing things. Really speeds up the learning curve. I think a good resolution for clubs this year is to resolve to get some solid speakers/educational opportunities for club members. I think christmas/holiday parties are great for socializing but regular meetings need a time to be challenged/learning as well.

Sansai
    Travel.....I was able to go to Japan with Mystic Koi and I have a whole new prespective. In fact I feel like a beginner again.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley View Post
    BB
    That would be something that I read in the 1972 Nobel Lecture by Alexander Solzhenitzyn this last summer, in particular this quote:

a work of art bears within itself its own verification: conceptions which are devised or stretched do not stand being portrayed in images, they all come crashing down, appear sickly and pale, convince no one. But those works of art which have scooped up the truth and presented it to us as a living force they take hold of us, compel us, and nobody ever, not even in ages to come, will appear to refute them.
    --Alexander Solzhenitsyn

And so I thought of the concept of koi as living art, and how those individual fish that have been celebrated by us never grow old in the mind's eye of the koi kichi that have witnessed them in full bloom, the memories still fresh and vibrant of the fish at it's finished best long after they're faded and gone--now that is the rare truth of Nishikigoi and why they are considered living jewels, living art.

Alexander also spoke of the artist, the creator of compelling art. He said,
    "One artist sees himself as the creator of an independent spiritual world; he hoists onto his shoulders the task of creating this world, of peopling it and of bearing the all-embracing responsibility for it; but he crumples beneath it, for a mortal genius is not capable of bearing such a burden.... And if misfortune overtakes him, he casts the blame upon the age-long disharmony of the world, upon the complexity of today's ruptured soul, or upon the stupidity of the public."

"A
    nother artist, recognizing a higher power above, gladly works as a humble apprentice beneath God's heaven; then, however, his responsibility for everything that is written or drawn, for the souls which perceive his work, is more exacting than ever. But, in return, it is not he who has created this world, not he who directs it, there is no doubt as to its foundations; the artist has merely to be more keenly aware than others of the harmony of the world, of the beauty and ugliness of the human contribution to it, and to communicate this acutely to his fellow-men. And in misfortune, and even at the depths of existence in destitution, in prison, in sickness his sense of stable harmony never deserts him."

The most visionary of breeders, those that produce the most amazing Nishikigoi are artists of the second genre. (We need not speak of the first. ) There is something above and beyond them that work through them or rather, that they call upon or consult when making the selections of oyagoi that produce what they have envisioned as their unique interpretation of what Nishikigoi should be. Sure, they use every scrap of knowledge they have concerning their broodstock genetics and husbandry skills, which is considerable since they literally soak it all up like a hungry sponge as a matter of course, but what puts them ahead of all others is an inherent sense of beauty that makes the final choice, the "eye" that seems to discern more keenly than most the truth of the beauty within its gaze.

These people are utterly amazing, be they Japanese, American, British, or any other nationality. I honor them all for their vision....

Marie
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

I agree with Dick about continuing the koi journey. I seem to know less and less about koi each year.

One word for me this year....Quality!! I want to learn it, study it...and recognize it in every koi type that exists!!! I never want to gaze into a tub of koi...and miss the inherent quality that is there, simply because I have not educated myself on that variety. Hopefully, I will continue improving my koi-eye this year as well. My copy of Kokugyo 2 is giving me an excellent start.

Tosai
    Marie,

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    That would be something that I read in the 1972 Nobel Lecture by Alexander Solzhenitzyn this last summer, in particular this quote:

a work of art bears within itself its own verification: conceptions which are devised or stretched do not stand being portrayed in images, they all come crashing down, appear sickly and pale, convince no one. But those works of art which have scooped up the truth and presented it to us as a living force they take hold of us, compel us, and nobody ever, not even in ages to come, will appear to refute them.
    --Alexander Solzhenitsyn

And so I thought of the concept of koi as living art, and how those individual fish that have been celebrated by us never grow old in the mind's eye of the koi kichi that have witnessed them in full bloom, the memories still fresh and vibrant of the fish at it's finished best long after they're faded and gone--now that is the rare truth of Nishikigoi and why they are considered living jewels, living art.

"One artist sees himself as the creator of an independent spiritual world; he hoists onto his shoulders the task of creating this world, of peopling it and of bearing the all-embracing responsibility for it; but he crumples beneath it, for a mortal genius is not capable of bearing such a burden.... And if misfortune overtakes him, he casts the blame upon the age-long disharmony of the world, upon the complexity of today's ruptured soul, or upon the stupidity of the public."

"A
    nother artist, recognizing a higher power above, gladly works as a humble apprentice beneath God's heaven; then, however, his responsibility for everything that is written or drawn, for the souls which perceive his work, is more exacting than ever. But, in return, it is not he who has created this world, not he who directs it, there is no doubt as to its foundations; the artist has merely to be more keenly aware than others of the harmony of the world, of the beauty and ugliness of the human contribution to it, and to communicate this acutely to his fellow-men. And in misfortune, and even at the depths of existence in destitution, in prison, in sickness his sense of stable harmony never deserts him."

The most visionary of breeders, those that produce the most amazing Nishikigoi are artists of the second genre. (We need not speak of the first. ) There is something above and beyond them that work through them or rather, that they call upon or consult when making the selections of oyagoi that produce what they have envisioned as their unique interpretation of what Nishikigoi should be. Sure, they use every scrap of knowledge they have concerning their broodstock genetics and husbandry skills, which is considerable since they literally soak it all up like a hungry sponge as a matter of course, but what puts them ahead of all others is an inherent sense of beauty that makes the final choice, the "eye" that seems to discern more keenly than most the truth of the beauty within its gaze.

These people are utterly amazing, be they Japanese, American, British, or any other nationality. I honor them all for their vision....

Marie

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post

--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

"A

Marie
    This was it for me!!! Thank you Marie for posting!!!

Marie

That's as deep and profound as it gets!! Thanks for posting this gem

Mike