Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads and tail on these eight Kohaku’s

Heads and tail on these eight Kohaku’s

Hello everybody and greetings from Norway. We just received these Tosai Kohaku’s from Japan. They should be “nice” and from same breeder/bloodline?

We think they look good, but her we are in seriously shortage of possibility of Nishikigoi to compare with and I’m sorry to say knowledge on what’s good, better…...

Please feel free to comment in your normal honest and free spirited way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heads and tail on these eight Kohaku’s-i.jpg   Heads and tail on these eight Kohaku’s-ii.jpg  

Jumbo
    Voga Ta-

I am a Frozen North guy too and I would be happy to have these fish to take care of. Looking them over , none of them is a full package of features though. There are some good faces and a couple OK shapes. Treat them well and have good fish, but they don't look like show winners.

Please let me try to tie two threads together. How long did these koi travel to get to Norway? Non- Stop or did they change planes somewhere. Were they bought through a European broker who rested them or repackaged them?

Mickey the windowman

Back again

Hello how Northern are you?

We have no problems admitting that they are no show winners.
    If you look at criteria you will see that it’s not even mentioned. In fact we asked for the best our limited budget could allow and after some talk decided that we would this time be pleased with Nishikigoi that the breeder had deemed not likely to make it in the show arena (no shows in this or the next two/three countries anyway, not counting airfreight in).
    They should be (again limited to what we will have to pay for them, yes still not fully paid for) of good runes up quality and after traditional Japanese assessment enjoyable to the eye and interesting to grow. They should come from given bloodline and are picked on request from us through our friend (EU broker later EUB) of breeder him self.

Journey as far as we know it:
    - Packed and shipped by other Japanese breeder for us, travelled in standard Japanese prepared water, box 350x350x800, under 20 kg total. This for +1.6m of Tosai.
    - Arrived Germany 19/12 on direct flight from Japan
    - Controlled by much trusted EUB, refilling of O2.
    - Due to “normal” transit problems beyond anyone’s control in transit arriving our main airport 18:30 the 21/12
    - Custom night service ……. + car transport home = released in to quarantine ~22:45 same evening.
    Not a single problem observed since are thriving and eating now in 24-25°C. Its all down to the breeder, handlers and “a bit off travelling luck”, please take care when dealing with the elements you can control. Pack lightly and do pay for the journey.

Still I have no real feedback on what this honoured board think when seeing between the individuals?
    Tone - Truls -Petter
    Vogata NI

always good to hear from you! Hope winter is treating you kindly.....

there is but one koi I would keep my eye on, first grouping picture of the koi,
    the kohaku at the 3 o'clock position. I'm sure it's male but if grown slow in good water i think it might hold it's pattern and amount to something.

Dear DB

Wonderful to find that I could attract one of the gents to my post an greetings to you and yours in this “young“ year.

Please remember that my English is even worse than my Norwegian and I therefore have problems with most written (or so I’m told). As I read your commit its 7 crapagoi and on possible further pleasing male?

Winter? We are currently switching between +1/2°C and frost in the nights, NO SOW? I actually had to travel to the mountains to ski this holyday! How’s mother nature treating you?

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vogata View Post
    Please remember that my English is even worse than my Norwegian and I therefore have problems with most written (or so I’m told).
    I can't speak English in any elevated fashion either. In this post I'm understanding you fine. I speak no Norwegian, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogata View Post
    Winter? NO SOW? How’s mother nature treating you?
    Snow is something I understand. We usually have snow on the ground five months and cold stays around 20 F for months dipping to -37 in my experience, a day I was young and working outside. I live in the Great Lakes and we have lake effect snow. This year our weather is odd in the same way yours is, not as cold and almost no snow. Dick and others near the Pacific however, have been having some challenging weather with quantities of cold, rain, ice, and snow that are not usual for them.

Crapagoi? If you weren't after show winners then what you wanted was healthy, robust fish with qualities of shape and skin to enjoy and learn from as you grew them. Right now there is not even much of that to see. Only the top fish in the first tub would earn the title Crapagoi from me. I'd say the second bowl is the better fish overall where I see a spot of nice white, a pretty face, a good tail, but none are on the same fish.

So, the trip was two hops, Japan to Germany where the fish were recieved by agent of the farm, and then, two days later, flight to Norway and the drive home. Correct? There was a thread about getting fish to Cyprus is why I'm asking and it seems like that fellow may need to use a broker midway like you've done.

Thanks for being patient with my spirited response which was a bit unlike what you were seeking.

Mickey the windowman

North to ...

No offence or other things taken, any one that has good to say about big blue B must be in on or another god book.

Please note that the Nishikigoi did not leave the box at anytime during their travel and did remarkable well during transit stays at airports and custom clearness locations.

We strongly feel that the success is willingness to pay more for freight (less in each box). Commitment and skill of breeder (no mater witch quality you by) – packer and not to forget repacked and (our mentor and dealer). If anything where wrong or not top when checking they would have been stopped and cared for in Germany.

The reason for this is that the breed is well known and we cant for or best of us get alle of them to match one bloodline.
    This Nishikigoi is not cheap (shall not be, are still awaiting final word on in witch range they found them to bee) if we judge by the prices that we have seen earlier post about Tosai. That’s with out freight costs.

PS! We generally find that US prices are low or that pictures must lie a grate deal sometimes when browsing the net.

Jumbo
    Tone Trull Petter ?

You are saying the fish were in the bag 72 hours, right? That makes Cyprus's 40 hour flight easier than folks here thought possible.

Not the best picture for you. Cheap fish, OK as B grade, but regretfully a one time deal, now all gone. As an American I am very spoiled. Yep.

Mickey the windowman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heads and tail on these eight Kohaku’s-four-six-inch-tosai.jpg  

All things being uneven

Remember control of access condition of locations when in transit and completely refilling with pure O2.

If they are equal to the once in your picture I hope they where expensive. Our other hope must bee that its mix-up in shipping. Here there are no problem to get nice pond grade Kohaku is available from just ~50$.

Crapagoi??? No...

Crapagoi is too strong a descriptor for any of them. Not being a show fish does not a crapagoi make . All of these appear to be attactive pond grade Koi, but like Dick B I've got to say my eye was drawn to the 3 oclock fish in the first picture as being the best of the lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast