Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi Feature Article - Los Angeles Times

Tosai

Koi Feature Article - Los Angeles Times

The front page of today's HOME section of the LA Times featured an article on koi titled "In a watery landscape, flowers that swim". http://www.latimes.com/features/prin...ck=1&cset=true

The article was fairly well done and kudos to Nancy Morales and Ken Tran of Eastern Nishikigoi for their contributions to keeping the information provided realistic and well balanced. A second brief article "Now, before you run to the store and buy some koi …" http://www.latimes.com/features/prin...,2090619.story
    should help to steer newbies in the right direction.

Too bad the pictures were mostly mutts and I think I saw rocks on the bottom But all in all, a nice bit of publicity with some good links and resources.
    Last edited by janemm; 01-04-2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: link to second article

Honmei

Talking Excellant!

Kudos to Nancy, Ken and Bill. It is nice to see some positive, well directed press.
    Last edited by Russell Peters; 01-06-2007 at 12:57 AM.

What a great article! My congratulations to Nancy and Ken for helping to direct the reporter, and now I'm really homesick - I love the CSULB Japanese Garden! What Nancy didn't tell the reporter about Buttercup is that the pricetag on her doesn't matter - Nancy won't let Ken sell her! Buttercup is just a sweetie - I got to spend some time with her (with Nancy's permission) last June...

I wish they did more promotion like that for the hobby in every newspaper. Way to go Ken and Nancy for helping out on the article.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    I wish they did more promotion like that for the hobby in every newspaper. Way to go Ken and Nancy for helping out on the article.
    It has been our experience that newspapers don't give space to events unless they can realize some benefit from it. The benefit does not always have to be monetary. The key is convincing the newspaper that it would benefit their readers, which would intern benefit them.
    Last edited by Russell Peters; 01-06-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Jane . . .

thanks for posting the links. It was a very enjoyable read.

Quote Originally Posted by janemm View Post
    The front page of today's HOME section of the LA Times featured an article on koi titled "In a watery landscape, flowers that swim". http://www.latimes.com/features/prin...ck=1&cset=true

The article was fairly well done and kudos to Nancy Morales and Ken Tran of Eastern Nishikigoi for their contributions to keeping the information provided realistic and well balanced. A second brief article "Now, before you run to the store and buy some koi Ö" http://www.latimes.com/features/prin...,2090619.story
    should help to steer newbies in the right direction.

Too bad the pictures were mostly mutts and I think I saw rocks on the bottom But all in all, a nice bit of publicity with some good links and resources.
    Hi Jane
    Glad to see you posting, hope all is well with you. The writer actually did a pretty good job, she did leave out a few things, but all in all good. Hopefully some new hobbiest will emerge from this article and have a little better understanding. I wish she had put in the differences in pond types, and filtration needs etc...